Question about Potboiler Press

  • hexslinger
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2011
      Konbanwa, minna-sama!

      I was planning to purchase Solveig's book on Japanese naming from Potboiler Press, but I'm getting a notification that their site is not trusted when I try to check out.

      Is this just a weird certification issue, or ... ? I will be pinging them as well, but figured that if any of you knew ...

      Arigatou gozaimasu!

      ==Leanne (who hopes to have a shiny new SCA name soon!)
    • Charles Dodge
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2011
        Sounds like a weird certificate issue. Alban lives in Calontir and frequently opens his home to visitors wanting to see his collection of period books. Yes, real period as in printed in period antique books.

        Nakos

        Sent from my Samsung Epicâ„¢ 4G

        hexslinger <lopaskar@...> wrote:

        >Konbanwa, minna-sama!
        >
        >I was planning to purchase Solveig's book on Japanese naming from Potboiler Press, but I'm getting a notification that their site is not trusted when I try to check out.
        >
        >Is this just a weird certification issue, or ... ? I will be pinging them as well, but figured that if any of you knew ...
        >
        >Arigatou gozaimasu!
        >
        >==Leanne (who hopes to have a shiny new SCA name soon!)

      • Erin Kelly
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2011
          Potboiler is a cottage industry - I'm sure the proprietor can reassure
          you, fix the problem, or offer an alternate payment method. If he's
          not at Pennsic.

          I've ordered from them with no problem (don't remember any oddness
          with the website at the time, but it was a year ago), and I've never
          heard of anyone having issues with them.

          (I think there was a time several years ago when the business was
          minimally responsive for a period of time - likely a "real life
          intruding" issue, not atypical for SCA-related businesses. They
          recovered from it well and have been fine since, so I don't count that
          against them.)

          ERIN
        • danabren
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2011
            Alban of Potboiler Press states:

            "The website seems to have developed problems with the security certificate (the, ummm, SSL thing?) I thought I'd renewed it last week, but apparently it hasn't taken, and two people have written in to say they won't place any orders until it's up and running again. Oh, foo. And a darn, too."

            Soga/Danabren
          • hexslinger
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 6, 2011
              Yep, one of those was me. I had an identity theft problem several years ago because of an online purchase, and it was a real hassle, so I've made a point of trying to be extra-careful. Alban contacted me about it already and let me know that was what war going on.

              Hope he gets things straightened out soon. ^_^ Thanks for the vouching-for-him, folks.

              ==Leanne