Dyes - plants and more used in Japanese textiles (mostly period info)

  • art_fetish
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21, 2011
      I recently purchased a gem of a book that is a historical look at Japanese textile techniques..specifically dying and weaving. The book discusses the Nara period up to the Meiji era. It includes a lot of elaborate period kimono and examples.

      In particular I found the Momoyama period kosode photos to be particular interesting. Many of the kosode features were performer pieces.

      In the back of the book is a reference list for dying: plants, their names, and a color sample plate of what they yielded. this is such a great resource that I wanted to share it with everyone. There link is the color sample plate to better help you understand what each different plant yields as a dye.
      ---------------------
      Source: Textiles No. 2 Arts and Crafts of Japan
      Published:1957
      By: Tomoyuki Yamanobb
      Link to color sample plate: http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/3162/img1557y.jpg
      ----------------------

      * Color No.1 : Madder - Perennial vine with line, egg-shaped, thorny leaves. Roots of the 3 year old plant used for dye.
      * Color No.2 : Safflower (Chrysanthemum family) - Prennial. The flowers are reddish-yellow. Plant looks like wild thistle and grows to a height of one meter. Flowers used for dye.
      * Color No.3 : Judas Tree - The bark of this deciduous plant is used as a medicine as well as for making dye. Its yellow flowers are used in making a red paint used by artists.
      * Color No.4 : Shikon- A perennial plant with five petal flowers. The dark purple skin of its thick roots is used for dye.
      * Color No.5 : Ai (Indigo plant) - Annual. Brought to Japan from the French Indo-China in ancient times. Leaves used for dye.
      * Color No.6 : Turmeric- Perennial member of the ginger family. Its tuber roots are dried and then used for dye.
      * Color No.7 : Kihada- A deciduous tree. Its bark is used for medicine and dye.
      * Color No.8 : Rhubarb - Perennial. The Japanese variety has a whitish yellow flower. Roots are used for dye.
      * Color No.9 : Gardenia - Evergreen. The ripe yellow seeds are used for making dye.
      * Color No.10 : Kariyasu - A perennial plant that resembles pampas grass. Leaves and stem used for dye.
      * Color No.11 : Mochi Tsutsuji (a variety of azalea)- The leaves of this evergreen bush are used for dye.
      * Color No.12 : Yashabushi (member of the birch family)- The seeds of this deciduous tree are used for dye.
      * Color No.13 : Alder- Deciduous tree. The bark of this is used for dye.
      * Color No.14 : Sumac- Deciduous. Was used in ancient times for making wax. Dye is made from the bark.
      * Color No.15 : Pomegranate- The fruit of this deciduous tree are used for dye.
      * Color No.16 : Tsurubami (a kind of oak)- Deciduous. The outer shell of the acorn is used for dye.
      * Color No.17 : Clove- Evergreen. The oil extract from the heavy scented blossoms is used for medicine. The buds are used for dye.
      * Color No.18 : Natsume (member of the holly family)- The fruit of this deciduous tree is used for dye and medicine.
      * Color No.19 : Walnut Tree- Deciduous. The bark is used for dye.
      * Color No.20 : Beninoki- Deciduous. The bark is used for dye.
      * Color No.21 : Yamamomo- An evergreen that bares edible fruit. The bark is used for dye.
      * Color No.22 : Common commelina- Annual creeper. Liquid extract from flowers used as tracing dye in Yuzen dying.

      -Lady Kimiko
    • Jennifer Kobayashi
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 21, 2011

        Doumo Arigatou! Thanks for sharing -