Re: [SCA-JML] Usucha v. Koicha

  • Audrey Bergeron-Morin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 14 2:04 PM
      Well, tea purists will tell you that it doesn't last long once the package
      is open, maybe a few weeks at most. The main problem you'll have is the
      humidity that can get into the package and make your tea stale and clumpy.
      Some people say to keep it in the freezer (others say it's
      heresy!). Personally, I think the freezer is most likely a better idea than
      a warm pantry. When the packages are still sealed, I've cheated and kept tea
      few years. (shhh, don't tell! you're not supposed to do this to good tea!).

      You're also supposed to sieve the powder before you use it. And make sure
      you get real matcha powder, not a cheap Chinese imitation - that's fine for
      cooking, but it won't behave the same way when you use it alone with water.

      Also... how hot is your water? It doesn't work very well if it's too hot or
      too cold. It shouldn't be boiling, somewhere in the vicinity of 185 F.

      And the rest I think is just practice. I can't get it nearly as bubbly as my
      sensei, and we're using the exact same equipment.

      Others more knowledgeable might offer more insight; I'm far from being an
      expert on those matters :-)