What is it called?

  • Lionhardht
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9, 2011
      Greeting from another lurker.

      I amd trying to find the name and any details for:
      [1] doorway curtains.
      [2] fabric walls as backgrounds or windbreaks around a camp
      [3] other uses of fabric other than clothing

      I appreciate any and all help.
    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2011
        On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 7:24 AM, Lionhardht <thepride@...> wrote:

        > I amd trying to find the name and any details for:
        >     [1] doorway curtains.

        What kind of doorway curtains?

        >     [2] fabric walls as backgrounds or windbreaks around a camp

        "Maku" for curtain (e.g. "Bakufu"; the curtain [ie camp] government),
        "jinmaku" specifically for camp curtains.

        >     [3] other uses of fabric other than clothing

        Banners (religious and secular). I'm ignoring armor, hats, etc. per
        your "non-clothing" request.

        Furoshiki (cloth used to wrap things of various sizes).

        Tatami edging.

        Various furnniture (e.g. padded armrests)

        Dolls and assorted toys.

        Religious donations

        Paying taxes (certain fabrics were occasionally part of the tax
        requirement of various locations as I recall).

        Edging and framing scrolls.

        Does that help?

        -Ii
      • LJonthebay
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9, 2011
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:

          > On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 7:24 AM, Lionhardht <thepride@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I amd trying to find the name and any details for:
          > >     [1] doorway curtains.
          >
          > What kind of doorway curtains?

          Noren are the sort that are hung in the doorways of shops or homes for a semblance of privacy in hot weather, if that's the sort you are looking for.

          > Banners (religious and secular). I'm ignoring armor, hats, etc. per
          > your "non-clothing" request.

          See also "Hata" or "Sashimono."

          Saionji no Hana
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9, 2011

            >> I amd trying to find the name and any details for:
            >> [1] doorway curtains.
            >
            > What kind of doorway curtains?

            I suspect that he is thinking of noren.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 13, 2011

              Greetings from Solveig! Thus far, I have only performed usucha (thin tea) demonstrations at Pennsic and elsewhere. Would anyone be interested in participating in a koicha (thick tea) demonstration sometime? Koicha has about the consistency of pea soup. One bowl is prepared and is shared amongst the various guests.

            • Jeanel Walker
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 14, 2011
                I dont mean to intrude but may I ask a question? I am having difucluty in getting my matcha to bubble up I have the right bamboo whisk or chasen  but to no avail still cant get it to look right. dose matcha go bad I cant find any info on that either. after opening a package how long dose it last?

                Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
                My Facebook Link =)  My Deviant Art Page Link

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 14, 2011
                  Well, tea purists will tell you that it doesn't last long once the package
                  is open, maybe a few weeks at most. The main problem you'll have is the
                  humidity that can get into the package and make your tea stale and clumpy.
                  Some people say to keep it in the freezer (others say it's
                  heresy!). Personally, I think the freezer is most likely a better idea than
                  a warm pantry. When the packages are still sealed, I've cheated and kept tea
                  few years. (shhh, don't tell! you're not supposed to do this to good tea!).

                  You're also supposed to sieve the powder before you use it. And make sure
                  you get real matcha powder, not a cheap Chinese imitation - that's fine for
                  cooking, but it won't behave the same way when you use it alone with water.

                  Also... how hot is your water? It doesn't work very well if it's too hot or
                  too cold. It shouldn't be boiling, somewhere in the vicinity of 185 F.

                  And the rest I think is just practice. I can't get it nearly as bubbly as my
                  sensei, and we're using the exact same equipment.

                  Others more knowledgeable might offer more insight; I'm far from being an
                  expert on those matters :-)