Re: [SCA-JML] Invaluable set of Movies: Zatoichi.1962-1989.COMPLETE.BOXSET.DVDRiP

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011

      > A local film society is having a Kinema fest thru July. I've been loath to
      > mention it, because I didn't want the 'that's not period' lecture Katashi
      > (no sig, presumed the name) got. It's tedious, redundant, and pedantic. If
      > anybody actually wants to discuss said festival, and the various movies
      > therein, lemmie know. I'm actually pretty excited about it.

      1. I rather enjoy the Zatoichi movies and have eight or nine of them on DVD.
      2. The pedantry was necessitated by the following statement:

      > It's all there, Garb, Yakuza culture, Ronin and Lords

      With a subject line including the phrase: "Invaluable set of Movies"

      WIthin the context of this mailing list, this suggests that a set of movies set in the bakumatsu period (mid 19th century) is a resource for recreating pre-17th century Japanese culture. This is of course mistaken. Again the movies are fun, but there are much better movies to crib ideas from.

      We were all young once. We all pretty much started out uninformed as well. We can all grow. When you hang around this mailing list for a while, you will discover that many of the same questions and enthusiasms come up on a regular basis as do the responses which are intended to be helpful. Please tolerate them. They will not go away.