Chikubushima - art, book, thoughts?

  • art_fetish
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2011
      I've just recently really started really digging into the Momoyama period, and along the way today I found something I thought was interesting.

      During the Momoyama period (roughly 1568ad-1615ad), the island of Chikubushima became a repository for a variety of artwork commissioned by Japan's ruling class. This island was regarded as sacred and was adorned with a variety of temples. There is even a Noh play about the island (the play features Benzaiten and the Dragon King). The temple on the island is rumored to have allowed women to visit. This island can still be visited today with many examples of that art still on the island, in the form of the highly ornate templates: http://photoguide.jp/pix/thumbnails.php?album=18

      Additionally there is a book about about such a subject matter: Chikubushima: Deploying the Sacred Arts in Momoyama Japan [Hardcover], by Andrew M. Watsky.

      Does anyone else have this book? I want to buy it, but would first like to know thoughts on the book in terms of "period" content.

      -Kimiko
    • Jeanel Walker
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 29, 2011
        wow im interested too. it sounds awesome!!!!!

        Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
        My Facebook Link =)  My Deviant Art Page Link

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 29, 2011
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "art_fetish" <art_fetish@...> wrote:

          > Additionally there is a book about about such a subject matter: Chikubushima: Deploying the Sacred Arts in Momoyama Japan [Hardcover], by Andrew M. Watsky.
          >
          > Does anyone else have this book? I want to buy it, but would first like to know thoughts on the book in terms of "period" content.

          No, but if you run it through Google Books, there's a preview which includes the table of contents. Topics include patronage of the island under Toyotomi Hideyoshi (1537-1598) and his successor Toyotomi Hideyori. (1593-1615).

          Saionji no Hana, whose To Be Read Pile just keeps on growing
          West Kingdom
        • art_fetish
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 29, 2011
            I'll wait a few days. If by July 15th no one has spoken up about this book I will purchase it and write a review with SCA period in mind.
            -Kimiko

            > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "art_fetish" <art_fetish@> wrote:
            >
            > > Additionally there is a book about about such a subject matter: Chikubushima: Deploying the Sacred Arts in Momoyama Japan [Hardcover], by Andrew M. Watsky.
            > >
            > > Does anyone else have this book? I want to buy it, but would first like to know thoughts on the book in terms of "period" content.
            >
            > No, but if you run it through Google Books, there's a preview which includes the table of contents. Topics include patronage of the island under Toyotomi Hideyoshi (1537-1598) and his successor Toyotomi Hideyori. (1593-1615).
            >
            > Saionji no Hana, whose To Be Read Pile just keeps on growing
            > West Kingdom

          • James Eckman
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 30, 2011
              > Posted by: "art_fetish"
              >
              > I'll wait a few days. If by July 15th no one has spoken up about this book I will purchase it and write a review with SCA period in mind.
              > -Kimiko
              Art Bulletin, Jun 01, 2005 has a fairly long review of it, it sounds
              good. You can probably find this online thru a local library. I ordered
              it thru inter-library loan, thanks for the suggestion!

              Jim
            • art_fetish
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
                Alas, my local, county and state library system is lacking. I actually own a private collection larger then the state library system had.

                That being said, I will check for the book but I doubt they have it. I just purchased a new book for the collection and to use as reference material for an article I am writing about the Momoyama period for the Midrealms 'The Pale' publication. More reviews and photos soon.
                -Kimiko

                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@...> wrote:

                > > Posted by: "art_fetish"
                > >
                > > I'll wait a few days. If by July 15th no one has spoken up about this book I will purchase it and write a review with SCA period in mind.
                > > -Kimiko
                > Art Bulletin, Jun 01, 2005 has a fairly long review of it, it sounds
                > good. You can probably find this online thru a local library. I ordered
                > it thru inter-library loan, thanks for the suggestion!
                >
                > Jim

              • James Eckman
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
                  > Posted by: "art_fetish"
                  >
                  > Alas, my local, county and state library system is lacking. I actually own a private collection larger then the state library system had.
                  How about the colleges? I have been in that situation in the past, one
                  library near me was pretty much a BYOB library.

                  Jim
                • scott_rekishika
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 3, 2011
                    I am sorry to say I cannot help much in this. I own the book, but have not yet gotten around to reading it in detail. When it first came I did skim through it. It looks interesting to anyone interested in Japanese art history, Azuchi-Momoyama period, Nobunaga and Hideyoshi, and other related subjects. If you are very interested in the Azuchi-Momoyama period I suggest that you get it even though I have not read it in detail yet. If it is a time period that you really like than I think any information about it will help your understanding of the period. Just my opinion though.