Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Looking to delve deeper on specifics: Saga area

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 23, 2011

      > I've actually had a friend of mine who is a Japanese scholar point me at Hakata/Fukuoka, which is nearby and better suits my persona's needs.
      >
      > I figure that if I'm visiting Europe, I had to have a reason to go there, so my argument (for the moment, and I will certainly accept suggestions and corrections), is that my daimyo was getting nervous about the possibility of a Mongol threat. (I'm thinking of playing slightly before the Mongol Invasions.) I was sent to scout the Mongol lands and see how much they hold. Um. Well. The Mongols hold a lot of lands, I've discovered, now that I'm out the other side.

      Well, you aren't visiting Europe (unless you want to be); you are
      visiting the Kingdoms of the SCA, which are primarily based on
      European traditions. ;)

      Hakata and Fukuoka do make sense as a place to travel from, however.
      The Koroukan, in particular, is an interesting piece of history; a
      place for visiting dignitaries to stay. The island of Tsushima could
      also be a good choice, though it gets you further from the core of
      Japan at the time.

      > It makes sense that someone from Hakata would be more likely to cross to China and then take the Silk Road westward. My friend pointed me at a book on Hakata which I am looking forward to reading: _Gateway to Japan: Hakata in War and Peace 500-1300_. Hakata looks pretty interesting!

      I'll have to look that up, myself. It sounds intriguing!

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 24, 2011

        Greetings from Solveig! I think that you may be worrying about your persona story overly much. The Laurel Kingdoms are not anywhere or anywhen in historical Europe. They are more akin to the Island in the Tempest or to Riverworld. You certainly don't need the Monguls to get to Europe. Japan was not a closed country throughout much of its history. Study is a perfectly adequate reason for at least Japanese monks to travel to China and points West. I am rather fond of the explanation given by one of the members of this forum that one day she stepped out of her ox cart and found herself in the Laurel Kingdoms.

      • LJonthebay
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 24, 2011
          > I am rather fond of the explanation given by one of the members of this forum that one day she stepped out of her ox cart and found herself in the Laurel Kingdoms.

          As for myself, I am in the namban Kingdom of the West because my Emperor commanded it be so. ;-D What other explanation could there be?

          Saionji no Hana
        • sigrune@aol.com

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 24, 2011
              Hahaha. Not at all, actually. I love getting the details right; it's not a worry for me in the slightest. (: It's fine to say that the Laurel Kingdoms are "off the map", but I feel they should still be a substantial distance away from Japan; that helps maintain the overall feeling of "I have traveled a long way and this culture is not my culture" for me.

              With regards the Mongols, one of my dear friends in the far-off Kingdom of the East is playing a Mongol. I certainly don't *need* an excuse to know her persona, especially way over here in Caid, but I rather like having one. (: