Re: Looking to delve deeper on specifics: Saga area

  • LJonthebay
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 22, 2011
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "hexslinger" <lopaskar@...> wrote:
      > I'm in the process of working on my persona (thank you Solveig and Yves!). I am considering being from the area that is now (and mostly was then) the Saga prefecture, in about 1200-1210.

      I don't know if it helps, but the Wikipedia (yes, I know, don't all shudder at once) entry indicates that Saga was part of Hizen Province, so searching on that may turn up more information.

      http://wiki.samurai-archives.com/index.php?title=Hizen_province includes the kanji for Hizen no kuni, which might allow you to expand your internet searches by running it in Japanese and plugging the results into Google Translate.

      Hope this helps a little. It's all The Provinces to this kuge girl anyway. ;-D

      Saionji no Hana
      West Kingdom
    • hexslinger
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 23, 2011
        Thank you, Saionji-dono!

        I've actually had a friend of mine who is a Japanese scholar point me at Hakata/Fukuoka, which is nearby and better suits my persona's needs.

        I figure that if I'm visiting Europe, I had to have a reason to go there, so my argument (for the moment, and I will certainly accept suggestions and corrections), is that my daimyo was getting nervous about the possibility of a Mongol threat. (I'm thinking of playing slightly before the Mongol Invasions.) I was sent to scout the Mongol lands and see how much they hold. Um. Well. The Mongols hold a lot of lands, I've discovered, now that I'm out the other side.

        It makes sense that someone from Hakata would be more likely to cross to China and then take the Silk Road westward. My friend pointed me at a book on Hakata which I am looking forward to reading: _Gateway to Japan: Hakata in War and Peace 500-1300_. Hakata looks pretty interesting!

        > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "hexslinger" <lopaskar@> wrote:
        > > I'm in the process of working on my persona (thank you Solveig and Yves!). I am considering being from the area that is now (and mostly was then) the Saga prefecture, in about 1200-1210.
        >
        > I don't know if it helps, but the Wikipedia (yes, I know, don't all shudder at once) entry indicates that Saga was part of Hizen Province, so searching on that may turn up more information.
        >
        > http://wiki.samurai-archives.com/index.php?title=Hizen_province includes the kanji for Hizen no kuni, which might allow you to expand your internet searches by running it in Japanese and plugging the results into Google Translate.
        >
        > Hope this helps a little. It's all The Provinces to this kuge girl anyway. ;-D
        >
        > Saionji no Hana
        > West Kingdom

      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 23, 2011

          > I've actually had a friend of mine who is a Japanese scholar point me at Hakata/Fukuoka, which is nearby and better suits my persona's needs.
          >
          > I figure that if I'm visiting Europe, I had to have a reason to go there, so my argument (for the moment, and I will certainly accept suggestions and corrections), is that my daimyo was getting nervous about the possibility of a Mongol threat. (I'm thinking of playing slightly before the Mongol Invasions.) I was sent to scout the Mongol lands and see how much they hold. Um. Well. The Mongols hold a lot of lands, I've discovered, now that I'm out the other side.

          Well, you aren't visiting Europe (unless you want to be); you are
          visiting the Kingdoms of the SCA, which are primarily based on
          European traditions. ;)

          Hakata and Fukuoka do make sense as a place to travel from, however.
          The Koroukan, in particular, is an interesting piece of history; a
          place for visiting dignitaries to stay. The island of Tsushima could
          also be a good choice, though it gets you further from the core of
          Japan at the time.

          > It makes sense that someone from Hakata would be more likely to cross to China and then take the Silk Road westward. My friend pointed me at a book on Hakata which I am looking forward to reading: _Gateway to Japan: Hakata in War and Peace 500-1300_. Hakata looks pretty interesting!

          I'll have to look that up, myself. It sounds intriguing!

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 24, 2011
            Noble Cousin!

            Greetings from Solveig! I think that you may be worrying about your persona story overly much. The Laurel Kingdoms are not anywhere or anywhen in historical Europe. They are more akin to the Island in the Tempest or to Riverworld. You certainly don't need the Monguls to get to Europe. Japan was not a closed country throughout much of its history. Study is a perfectly adequate reason for at least Japanese monks to travel to China and points West. I am rather fond of the explanation given by one of the members of this forum that one day she stepped out of her ox cart and found herself in the Laurel Kingdoms.

          • LJonthebay
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 24, 2011
              > I am rather fond of the explanation given by one of the members of this forum that one day she stepped out of her ox cart and found herself in the Laurel Kingdoms.

              As for myself, I am in the namban Kingdom of the West because my Emperor commanded it be so. ;-D What other explanation could there be?

              Saionji no Hana
            • sigrune@aol.com

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 24, 2011
                  Hahaha. Not at all, actually. I love getting the details right; it's not a worry for me in the slightest. (: It's fine to say that the Laurel Kingdoms are "off the map", but I feel they should still be a substantial distance away from Japan; that helps maintain the overall feeling of "I have traveled a long way and this culture is not my culture" for me.

                  With regards the Mongols, one of my dear friends in the far-off Kingdom of the East is playing a Mongol. I certainly don't *need* an excuse to know her persona, especially way over here in Caid, but I rather like having one. (: