Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Fighting Tactics

  • Yves de Lyle
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 18, 2011

      I want warfare to be more thing, because it has interested me for too long,
      and testing it on the SCA field is one way to recreate it. I'm thinking
      small units because I do not have access to more people. The idea of taking
      100 Japanese Samurai,Ashigaru, and the rest on to the field at Pensic in
      full regalia would be a moment worth crossing the world for. Regardless of
      the outcome.

      The Tactics described in the book come from some 22 Japanese Pre-battle
      formations, which have some similarities for Chinese formations, but sadly
      there is no reference I can find to an individual item in the Biography. I
      do realise that any tactics used will have to be adapted for SCA combat, ie
      we don't use horses for Cavarly, but we can use lightly armored pole-arms
      fighters to encircle and flank. However, this will need to be tested.

      My initial post was about the Chinese and Japanese Strategy & Tactics. I
      know the Chinese used shields, would like to know how it changed their
      tactics when compared to the Japanese.

      Lastly, thank you for another view on Musashi and your suggestions on
      what'll make the difference, which I'll have to consider...