Returning member, considering a Japanese persona

  • hexslinger
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 17, 2011
      Ohayou gozaimasu, minna-sama! Yoroshiko onegai shimasu. (:

      I was in the SCA way back in college ('92-'96), lapsed for a good long time, and am now seriously considering re-joining.

      I'm pondering a Japanese persona, but I'm kinda trying to figure out how to make it work; I'm interested in archery and fighting (I have a year or so of iaido under my belt) as well as Japanese poetry and cuisine, and I'd like to be an onna bugeisha. I know they were uncommon and hard to document. I'm definitely more of an active type than a courtly type, though, and I'd be much happier as a bushi than a noblewoman.

      I want to do it right -- or as right as possible with the obvious difficulties of documenting the concept to begin with! Is there anyone else out there doing this? Is there a period where this would be most appropriate? Should I punt and go with a male persona instead?

      I'm looking forward to a ton of research, sewing, possible armoring, and practice ... (: Thanks in advance for your help and advice. Doumo arigatou gozaimasu!

      ==Leanne
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 17, 2011

        Greetings from Solveig! My general impression is that your best bet for being an active female member of the buke is to choose the early Kamakura period from say the Genpei War to the Jokyu Disturbance. Around this time women owned estates and did all sorts of stuff.

      • hexslinger
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 18, 2011
          Arigatou gozaimasu, Solveig-sensei. I'll focus my studies there for now. (: I am hoping to order your fine book soon, as my husband has also indicated that he'd be interested in a Japanese persona, and we are both going to need names. (And I want to do it RIGHT. No picking things at random this time for me. (; )

          I am truly in awe of all the resources gathered for Japanese personae! There is so much to read. (:

          ==Leanne