Suggested research and reading for ...the founding & founder of kabuki?

  • art_fetish
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 10, 2011
      I am a bit of an oddball in terms of SCA period. My personal favorite in terms of period are early Edo and the late Momoyama. I'm struggling to find just the right persona within period. That being said, I was thinking about constructing my persona around one of the original female 'river dancers'.

      This is the founding performing troope of women that founded to kabuki. The troope itself is period, kabuki as we know it in its modern form is post period.

      Info at a glance about the founder: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izumo_no_Okuni (born 1572ad)

      That being said, I am struggling to find information about these women. Does anyone have suggested resources? I have some photos from recent festivals that shows modern actors playing the part. The costumes are very inciting to me, and the prospects of learning their dances and performances really exciting. Their fashion and attire is very much early edo / late momoyama.

      Photo 1 (dancers): http://www.flickr.com/photos/24146447@N04/2963598897/
      Photo 2 (dancer side shot): http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericlty/512177020/
      Photo 3 (Izumo No Okuni and her followers): http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericlty/512177012/in/set-72157600257961901/
      Photo 4 (head shot - I love this photo): http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3253/dancers4.jpg
      Photo 5 (Inumo and her followers)
      http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/5783/p1013277fc2.jpg

      Again, does anyone have resources they can suggest to me in regards to building an outfit or at least for research?
      -K
    • LJonthebay
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 12, 2011
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "art_fetish" <art_fetish@...> wrote:

        > That being said, I am struggling to find information about these women. Does anyone have suggested resources? I have some photos from recent festivals that shows modern actors playing the part. The costumes are very inciting to me, and the prospects of learning their dances and performances really exciting. Their fashion and attire is very much early edo / late momoyama.

        The "Okuni" screen is in the Kyoto National Museum's online database:
        http://www.kyohaku.go.jp/cgi-bin/liste.cgi?gazo_no=1&mz_synm=0000000238&kuni=Japan:Momoyama&limit_no=0

        Other than that, it falls into the "Crap, Edo," category, which means i haven't really focused on it.

        Saionji no Hana, Kamakura kuge type,