Nara period shaman - photo from the Otaue-sai festival

  • art_fetish
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2011
      I just stumbled onto a photo from a historical festival in Japan that is of interest. The photo is a high quality shot of a young woman who is a shaman from the Nara period.

      To quote the info on the photo: "I took this photo at The Otaue-sai fastival in Fushimi-Inari shrine, Kyoto. She took part in this festival as a shaman. I don't know the name of her hairstyle. However, it looks like hairstyles of ancient men very well. This hairstyle is called "Mizura", and became popular an ancient Japanese men in the 8th century."

      Link to the photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kamomebird/5817496269/in/photostream

      It's a really nice photo and certainly enriching to see pre-Heian period clothing. the collar on her really lends to the evolution of Heian period attire.

      -K
    • Ellen Badgley
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 10, 2011
        Wow, very interesting (and a lovely picture)!

        She actually looks like she's dressed like a Heian-period young man, before
        the genpuku (coming-of-age) ceremony.

        - Abe Akirakeiko

        On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 8:30 PM, art_fetish <art_fetish@...> wrote:

        > I just stumbled onto a photo from a historical festival in Japan that is of
        > interest. The photo is a high quality shot of a young woman who is a shaman
        > from the Nara period.
        >
        > To quote the info on the photo: "I took this photo at The Otaue-sai
        > fastival in Fushimi-Inari shrine, Kyoto. She took part in this festival as a
        > shaman. I don't know the name of her hairstyle. However, it looks like
        > hairstyles of ancient men very well. This hairstyle is called "Mizura", and
        > became popular an ancient Japanese men in the 8th century."
        >
        > Link to the photo:
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/kamomebird/5817496269/in/photostream
        >
        > It's a really nice photo and certainly enriching to see pre-Heian period
        > clothing. the collar on her really lends to the evolution of Heian period
        > attire.
        >
        > -K

      • LJonthebay
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 10, 2011
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ellen Badgley <flyingrat42@...> wrote:

          > Wow, very interesting (and a lovely picture)!
          >
          > She actually looks like she's dressed like a Heian-period young man, before
          > the genpuku (coming-of-age) ceremony.

          Reminds me of the painting on a fan I own of a youth reading:
          http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3504/3299441966_10b288bf0b_o.jpg

          Very cool, thanks for posting it!

          Saionji no Hana