Re: [SCA-JML] Hoeki no ho construction

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2011
      On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 8:54 AM, maistressealysia <attiyam@...> wrote:
      > Greetings,
      >
      > This is the first time posting to the list and I'm extremely new to making Japanese clothing. I am in the process of making a Hoeki no ho for my fiance and I have a couple of questions on the construction.
      >
      > 1. Is the ran (wing like piece) only attached to the back of the garment?

      The ran actually goes around the entire bottom hem, so the garment
      actually flares out with the ran being the actual hem.

      This may help (hopefully). This is the early version of the garment:
      http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukushoku/f_disp.php?page_no=0000024

      If you look at the piece attached to the bottom (the ran) you will see
      that there is an area at the side seam that is pleated. The later
      "wings" are basically this pleat extended out to the sides:
      http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukushoku/f_disp.php?page_no=0000026

      Here are some noushi that we've made. Noushi are the same as the
      houeki no hou, but they have ties on the sides and the "pouch" at the
      back is actually sewn inside the garment, rather than outside:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatsushu/2950854878/in/set-72157607136270468
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatsushu/566906588/in/set-72157600395403106

      Here is one that we bought in Japan. I believe it is technically an
      "ikan" in that it is made with houeki-no-hou fabric, but in the
      pattern of a noushi:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatsushu/3271195689/in/set-72157605726232740

      I tried to take lots of pictures of each, so you can get a good idea.

      > 2. On the pattern provided by Edward of Effingham it doesn't state if the 10 inch width of the front band is measured at the top or the bottom of the piece. It looks like the 10 inches is at the bottom but then how wide is it suppose to be at the top of the piece?

      Are you talking about the "okumi" (the two vertical pieces that attach
      on the front and form the overlap)? If so, you can use the pieces
      I've shown for reference, but generally the top of the okumi is
      probably going to be about half the width of the bottom, so 5" at the
      top to 10" at the bottom wouldn't be amiss.

      -Ii
    • Mazelle Attiya
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2011
        Yes I was talking about the okumi. Thank you! The information you provided
        has helped me tremendously. What exactly is the pouch in the back of the
        garment used for? Is there a standard depth for this?

        Alysia

        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2011
          On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Mazelle Attiya <attiyam@...> wrote:
          > Yes I was talking about the okumi. Thank you! The information you provided
          > has helped me tremendously. What exactly is the pouch in the back of the
          > garment used for?  Is there a standard depth for this?

          I have no details on what the pouch is for, exactly, but it is
          important. The way it is sewn, the belt should actually be slightly
          or fully covered in back, as I recall (this would depend on what
          school you were going with). I have one book on this that seems to
          suggest the purpose was originally to help get the "pigeon-breasted"
          look by taking up the extra in the back, making the back of the
          garment shorter than the front.

          I'm looking for more info, but not finding it at the moment.