Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Women's court wear, and tabi

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 5 , May 17, 2011
      On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 6:19 AM, sugawara_naeme <sugawara.naeme@...>wrote:

      > Thank you for catching my typo.
      >
      > You're not the only crazy one, I'm there with you, moth eyebrows, black
      > teeth and all.
      >
      > I should know, after mostly lurking for 6 or so years, to be as specific as
      > possible. The new Prince and Princess of Gleann Abhann have Muromachi era
      > personas. This throws me out of my Heian comfort-zone. His wardrobe is
      > fairly easy to determine, thanks to Effingham-sensei's site, but I'm
      > uncertain about court-wear and semi-formal wear for Her. The Costume Museum
      > shows layered kosode for day-wear. The slightly longer brocade/heavily
      > stenciled kosode worn open over the layered, belted kosode gives a slightly
      > more formal look. I am uncertain what She "should" wear in court, whether
      > karaginu mo is the most appropriate, or if there is something else that
      > would suffice. Ashikaga says buke to me, providing a bit more confusion,
      > but I didn't know if layered ginu worn open over 3 kosode
      > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/index.htm labeled on the
      > english site as woman of the upper warrior class in formal costume would be
      > appropriate as I'm under the impression that that ensemble is Kamakura.
      >
      > The question is: How are they playing it? As kuge or buke?

      As kuge, she would probably go the karaginu-mo route, especially if he dons
      the hoeki-no-ho. However, if they are running it more on the level of local
      warlord (essentially shogun) then they could easily get away with holding
      court in less formal clothing; he in a hitatare kamishimo or suikan and she
      in either an uchikake or perhaps uchiki-sugata, like this lady here:
      http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukushoku/f_disp.php?page_no=0000074. BTW, that link
      shows three uchiki over a hitoe with a kosode under that and no hakama. The
      kosode would have an obi around it to keep it closed (make sure to measure
      so that it gives a full overlap and remains comfortable on her). I would
      say that tabi are optional, and tabi with zori are probably preferred for
      most situations where she will be walking around in places that others are
      dirtying up with their boots and shoes.

    • merlyn_elzebeth
      Message 2 of 5 , May 19, 2011
        Wasn't there a book on the Jidai Matsuri published? Perhaps that could be a useful source of information.

        I do know that wearing a kimono on the head is wonderful, wonderful for keeping the sun off and staying cool (if it is lightweight).

        My $.02

        Himitsu