RE: Gleann Abhann Crown List Results

  • masahide@summerscauldron.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 16, 2011
      I agree with Ii-dono, Congratulations to them!

      This does bring up a question I have had on my mind recently: How can, or
      should, imperial naming practices be applied to the SCA?

      I have only done limited research on imperial names, but as is stated in
      many places, emperors would use a different name on the throne than they
      used prior to this, and when they retired they would be referred to by yet
      a third name (when referencing their time on the throne). Does anyone know
      of any good sources for research (in English) that talk about this practice?

      Also, how do people feel this would be taken in the context of the SCA
      regarding a "registered" name that is different from what is used on the
      throne. I know in my kingdom, the Outlands, we have had several kings that
      have gone by slightly different names while on the throne, specifically
      there was Darius of Jaxartes who went by Jaxarticus on the throne. Any
      opinions on how the SCA would deal with someone sitting the throne using a
      completely different name?

      Furukusu Masahide

      >It is with great pleasure that I share this news, Ashikaga Hiromoto and
      >Ashikaga Kimiko are the new Prince and Princess of Gleann Abhann!
      >
      >Sugawara no Naeme

      http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web
    • Ellen Badgley
      Message 2 of 4 , May 16, 2011
        > I agree with Ii-dono, Congratulations to them!
        >
        > This does bring up a question I have had on my mind recently: How can, or
        > should, imperial naming practices be applied to the SCA?
        >
        > I have only done limited research on imperial names, but as is stated in
        > many places, emperors would use a different name on the throne than they
        > used prior to this, and when they retired they would be referred to by yet
        > a third name (when referencing their time on the throne). Does anyone know
        > of any good sources for research (in English) that talk about this
        > practice?
        >
        > Also, how do people feel this would be taken in the context of the SCA
        > regarding a "registered" name that is different from what is used on the
        > throne. I know in my kingdom, the Outlands, we have had several kings that
        > have gone by slightly different names while on the throne, specifically
        > there was Darius of Jaxartes who went by Jaxarticus on the throne. Any
        > opinions on how the SCA would deal with someone sitting the throne using a
        > completely different name?
        >
        > Furukusu Masahide

        Very interesting question!

        I don't know of anyone who has done this, but I've given some thought to the
        idea not of using an alternate name when on the throne, but of choosing a
        name for the period of the reign. Ii-dono and I considered this when we
        stepped up as Palatine Baroness and Baron of the Far West, but I honestly
        can't remember if we actually picked anything. :) It wouldn't have been
        official, in any event, but it lends an appropriate flavor.

        - Abe Akirakeiko