Re: [SCA-JML] Inazo - a name question

  • Dean Wayland
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2011
      Greetings Solveig-hime,

      >Sounds a bit modern to me. Incidentally, it's Inazou not Inazo. Yes, I know
      >that you can even find it written with an o without a macron or an attached
      >u, but this does not accurately represent the Japanese. Ahh the hazards
      >of romanization. There has to be at least half a dozen systems out there.
      >What's the difference? Japanese is an isochronous language and long o is
      >twice as long (in time) as short o. (They have the same sound, mouth
      >position, &c.) Regardless, Inazou has a long o sound (that's what the u is
      >doing to the o). Why u? Actually, some long O's are written oo and some
      >as ou. It is a detail of Japanese orthography. ?? is ???? (lit. Inazou) in
      >Japanese phonetic writing.

      Not quite sure what happened to my version of the original message, but
      I had included "Inazou" in brackets after "Inazo", as I was aware of the
      extra U for the long O. Oh well....

      Anyway, you think Inazou for a given name is probably non period, it's
      what I thought, as my only reference was 1862-1933 for Nitobe Inazou.

      Appreciated.

      Dean

      --
      Dean Wayland