Shibori

  • Carey Gorla
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 11 4:55 PM
      Hey all I wanted to double check on this topic. I am not nearly ready to start in on learning shibori yet but I definitely want to. I wanted to double check and see if there are any patterns that are common in modern shibori teaching sites/texts that I should avoid for warring states era men's clothing?
      Thanks
      Agnes (the german girlfriend of the japanese persona)
    • LJonthebay
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 11 5:11 PM
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Gorla" <agnesvonh@...> wrote:

        > Hey all I wanted to double check on this topic. I am not nearly ready to start in on learning shibori yet but I definitely want to. I wanted to double check and see if there are any patterns that are common in modern shibori teaching sites/texts that I should avoid for warring states era men's clothing?

        Quite probably, but I'm still researching this myself.

        Get your hands on a copy of "Shibori: The Inventive Art of Japanese Shaped Resist Dyeing," by Yoshiko Wada et. al. She identifies a number of period-appropriate techniques, plus the detailed how-to illustrations and photos are well worth it.

        So far I've experimented with some of the stitched resist styles, namely mokume (wood grain), karamatsu or miru, and did some really bad knotted rings on a sampler because I don't have the proper tool for the job.

        Kanoko (fawn spot) is very definitely period, as is tsujigahana.

        Saionji no Hana
        West Kingdom
      • the.lady.phoenix@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 11 11:28 PM
          Threads Magazine had a recent article on how to do shibori.
          Check it out :) they even break down the different styles of it.

          Sara

          On 11/04/2011, Carey Gorla <agnesvonh@...> wrote:
          > Hey all I wanted to double check on this topic. I am not nearly ready to
          > start in on learning shibori yet but I definitely want to. I wanted to
          > double check and see if there are any patterns that are common in modern
          > shibori teaching sites/texts that I should avoid for warring states era
          > men's clothing?
          > Thanks
          > Agnes (the german girlfriend of the japanese persona)

        • agnesvonh
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 16, 2013
            I am wondering if anyone has any good resources for period examples of shibori. I just got my mundane books on the subject in the mail and while I am uber excited and plan to use them to make some nifty silk scarf holiday gifts for my family I want to also find out exactly what styles/types were used in period. I know for sure that they were very fond of the little circle/square dots created by tying thousands upon thousands of strings. But what other examples are there?
            Thanks
            Agnes
          • Deb Strub
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 16, 2013

              The best resource I can think of is this book:

              Shibori: The Inventive Art of Japanese Shaped Resist Dyeing

              By Yoshiko Iwamoto, Mary Kellogg Rice & Jane Barton

              ISBN 10: 9781568363967

              It has both history and techniques and is excellent.

              YIS,

              Murakami Tsuruko
              An Tir

              On 11/16/2013 8:32 PM, agnesvonh@... wrote:

              I am wondering if anyone has any good resources for period examples of shibori. I just got my mundane books on the subject in the mail and while I am uber excited and plan to use them to make some nifty silk scarf holiday gifts for my family I want to also find out exactly what styles/types were used in period. I know for sure that they were very fond of the little circle/square dots created by tying thousands upon thousands of strings. But what other examples are there?
              Thanks
              Agnes

            • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 17, 2013
                Deb Strub wrote:
                > The best resource I can think of is this book:
                > Shibori: The Inventive Art of Japanese Shaped Resist Dyeing
                > By Yoshiko Iwamoto, Mary Kellogg Rice & Jane Barton
                > It has both history and techniques and is excellent.

                I second this recommendation.

                Even just browsing the index for "Heian", "Muromachi", "Asuka",
                "Momoyama", &c. will demonstrate this book's usefulness for our
                purposes.

                --
                THL Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
                (mka: Elliott C. Evans)
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 17, 2013
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie" <ishiyama@...> wrote:

                  > Deb Strub wrote:
                  > > The best resource I can think of is this book:
                  > > Shibori: The Inventive Art of Japanese Shaped Resist Dyeing
                  > > By Yoshiko Iwamoto, Mary Kellogg Rice & Jane Barton
                  > > It has both history and techniques and is excellent.

                  Definitely this one. Very useful, currently in print, and includes some period examples.

                  Harder to find as they are out of print, but worth looking for:

                  Tsujigahana: The Flower of Japanese Textile Arts Hardcover
                  by Toshiko Ito

                  Jodai-Gire: 7th and 8th Century Textiles in Japan from the Shoso-In and Horyu-Ji by Kaneo Matsumoto

                  NOW, brace yourself. The Shoso-in Repository has some of their collection catalogued and on line. http://shosoin.kunaicho.go.jp/ is in Japanese - I keep two tabs open, one in Google Translate (English) and one in the original Japanese because if you try to do it just as a translated page it will bring up error messages when you try to look at individual artifacts.

                  Saionji no Hana