Re: [SCA-JML] Pennsic 40 classes

  • Loujaue McPherson
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 22, 2011
      I wanted to take many classes but I found myself on the battlefield during MOST of them.

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 22, 2011
        I'm considering offering to teach a very basic sewing course at
        Pennsic. Would anyone be interested in that?

        Sara

        On 22/03/2011, Loujaue McPherson <loujaue@...> wrote:
        > I wanted to take many classes but I found myself on the battlefield during
        > MOST of them.

      • tsukime_medb
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 22, 2011
          Greetings to the list.

          I am hoping to make it to Pennsic this year after a long absence. I would love to take some Japanese classes, and possibly teach as well. I was thinking of teaching a workshop/class on bonsai with everyone who wants going home with their own tree at the end. I would bring trees and pots and teach while we work on trees. Would anyone be interested in a class like that?

          My interests for classes from others include: Japanese gardening, painting/calligraphy, and the Japanese language.

          Hoping to see you all there!
          Tsukime

          > Noble Cousins!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig! I usually offer classes on Japanese subjects at Pennsic. So, I will echo Ii dono by asking what sort of classes people would like to see.
          >
          > Your Humble Servant
          > Solveig Throndardottir
          > Amateur Scholar

        • JL Badgley
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 22, 2011
            On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 7:53 AM, tsukime_medb <heidilyn999@...> wrote:

            > My interests for classes from others include: Japanese gardening,
            > painting/calligraphy, and the Japanese language.
            >
            > Hoping to see you all there!
            > Tsukime

            Regarding Japanese language: What would you want to see? Obviously, in a 1
            hour (or even 2 hour) class we aren't likely to get very deep into the
            language. History of the language? Japanese linguistics overview? Or more
            along the lines of common phrases for your persona?

          • tsukime_medb
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 22, 2011
              I would love both a class on common phrases for personae and one on history of the language (and it's relations to other Asian languages), but I was a linguistics major back in the day, so that may be less of what others might find interesting. ;-)

              Tsuki

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 22, 2011
                Ii dono!

                Greetings from Solveig!
                > Regarding Japanese language: What would you want to see? Obviously, in a 1
                > hour (or even 2 hour) class we aren't likely to get very deep into the
                > language. History of the language? Japanese linguistics overview? Or more
                > along the lines of common phrases for your persona?
                My guess is that basic phonology followed by a few useful phrases and perhaps a look at titles and honorifics would easily fill two hours.

              • Jennifer Kobayashi
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 23, 2011
                  Concerning Japanese Language classes:

                  I know this is a very narrow and specific request, but personally I have a fair
                  amount of Japanese period music with transliterations that I would like to know
                  how to pronounce. I realize that's probably too specific for a class, but you
                  did ask. Maybe others want to know how to pronounce transliterations as well.
                  Would that be covered by the basic phonology?

                  Common phrases for your persona as well as titles and honorifics would also be
                  fun.

                  -Ki no Izumi

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 4 10:40 PM

                    On Mar 23, 2011, at 12:41 PM, Jennifer Kobayashi wrote:

                    > I know this is a very narrow and specific request, but personally I have a fair
                    > amount of Japanese period music with transliterations that I would like to know
                    > how to pronounce.

                    Greetings from Solveig! If you look me up at Pennsic, I can try to help decode those books you have.