Pennsic 40 classes

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 22, 2011
      So...

      1) Who's planning to teach?

      2) What classes would people want to see?

      For my part, I'm considering offering classes on:

      1) The hou/pao and influences from the Western Regions, with a focus on the
      7th~10th centuries
      2) Chinese onomastics (that is, Chinese names and naming patterns)
      3) Western influences in Asia (and vice versa)

      I'm considering something to do with Japanese food history, as well, but I
      want to keep it limited to what I can do, given I'll have moved back to the
      US less than a month before Pennsic!

      How about others? Any thoughts as to what classes people are hoping to
      teach/take?

      -Ii/Jing/Jeong/

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 22, 2011
        Noble Cousins!

        Greetings from Solveig! I usually offer classes on Japanese subjects at Pennsic. So, I will echo Ii dono by asking what sort of classes people would like to see.

      • Loujaue McPherson
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 22, 2011
          I wanted to take many classes but I found myself on the battlefield during MOST of them.

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 22, 2011
            I'm considering offering to teach a very basic sewing course at
            Pennsic. Would anyone be interested in that?

            Sara

            On 22/03/2011, Loujaue McPherson <loujaue@...> wrote:
            > I wanted to take many classes but I found myself on the battlefield during
            > MOST of them.

          • tsukime_medb
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 22, 2011
              Greetings to the list.

              I am hoping to make it to Pennsic this year after a long absence. I would love to take some Japanese classes, and possibly teach as well. I was thinking of teaching a workshop/class on bonsai with everyone who wants going home with their own tree at the end. I would bring trees and pots and teach while we work on trees. Would anyone be interested in a class like that?

              My interests for classes from others include: Japanese gardening, painting/calligraphy, and the Japanese language.

              Hoping to see you all there!
              Tsukime

              > Noble Cousins!
              >
              > Greetings from Solveig! I usually offer classes on Japanese subjects at Pennsic. So, I will echo Ii dono by asking what sort of classes people would like to see.
              >
              > Your Humble Servant
              > Solveig Throndardottir
              > Amateur Scholar

            • JL Badgley
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 22, 2011
                On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 7:53 AM, tsukime_medb <heidilyn999@...> wrote:

                > My interests for classes from others include: Japanese gardening,
                > painting/calligraphy, and the Japanese language.
                >
                > Hoping to see you all there!
                > Tsukime

                Regarding Japanese language: What would you want to see? Obviously, in a 1
                hour (or even 2 hour) class we aren't likely to get very deep into the
                language. History of the language? Japanese linguistics overview? Or more
                along the lines of common phrases for your persona?

              • tsukime_medb
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 22, 2011
                  I would love both a class on common phrases for personae and one on history of the language (and it's relations to other Asian languages), but I was a linguistics major back in the day, so that may be less of what others might find interesting. ;-)

                  Tsuki

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 22, 2011
                    Ii dono!

                    Greetings from Solveig!
                    > Regarding Japanese language: What would you want to see? Obviously, in a 1
                    > hour (or even 2 hour) class we aren't likely to get very deep into the
                    > language. History of the language? Japanese linguistics overview? Or more
                    > along the lines of common phrases for your persona?
                    My guess is that basic phonology followed by a few useful phrases and perhaps a look at titles and honorifics would easily fill two hours.

                  • Jennifer Kobayashi
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 23, 2011
                      Concerning Japanese Language classes:

                      I know this is a very narrow and specific request, but personally I have a fair
                      amount of Japanese period music with transliterations that I would like to know
                      how to pronounce. I realize that's probably too specific for a class, but you
                      did ask. Maybe others want to know how to pronounce transliterations as well.
                      Would that be covered by the basic phonology?

                      Common phrases for your persona as well as titles and honorifics would also be
                      fun.

                      -Ki no Izumi

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 4, 2011
                        Noble Cousin!

                        On Mar 23, 2011, at 12:41 PM, Jennifer Kobayashi wrote:

                        > I know this is a very narrow and specific request, but personally I have a fair
                        > amount of Japanese period music with transliterations that I would like to know
                        > how to pronounce.

                        Greetings from Solveig! If you look me up at Pennsic, I can try to help decode those books you have.