Jingasa construction details - help, please, anyone?

  • ihc73scout2
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2011
      I want to make a replica of an ashigaru jingasa. I have some 1/16"-3/32" buffalo rawhide for the main material, but I don't know how the chin-straps or the fabric sun-shade for the neck are supposed to attatch. Can anybody help me out here?

      Also, with urushi and now even cashew lacquer being unavailable in the USA, what would an acceptable substitute be, in terms of both looks and durability? I want the outside to be black, and the inside to be red. I've considered brush-on polyurethane, but that means whatever paint I used under it would have to be compatible with both the rawhide and the polyurethane.