Passing of a great star: Mistress Minowara Kiritsubo

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16, 2011
      Unlike the cherry,
      the paulownia branches
      are still winter-bare.
      In this, the springtime season
      Where are those long-missed blossoms?

      The following message was released by her husband, Master Phillip of Gent,
      regarding Mistress Minowara Kiritsubo, the first person I know of to receive
      a laurel for Japanese arts in the Kingdom of Atlantia, and a terrific
      mentor, educator, and friend.

      > All:
      >
      > There has been quite a bit of chatter on FB & emails, so I want to put
      > forth a brief message. Kiri's abdominal surgery was Monday, 7-March, and
      > they released her last Monday, 14-March. Things were progressing well - she
      > was walking, sitting up & doing the Phys Therapy stairs. Once home, she
      > could walk without assistance, get into/out of bed and various chairs, etc.
      >
      > This morning around 10 am she complained of not being able to breathe
      > deeply - no pain, just shallow breaths. After calling her surgeon in
      > Baltimore and primary physician here in Prince Frederick, we were directed
      > to take her to the emergency room. When she went back to change, her
      > breathing got more ragged & I called 911 for transport. Before they arrived,
      > she collapsed & I administered CPR & artificial respiration - the EMTs
      > arrives a few minutes later - about 10:30,
      >
      > They got her to the ER and got her heart going again, but she was on a
      > breathing machine & some of her organs shut down. She was Med-Evac'd to the
      > Georgetown University Hospital ICU, and I drove there to be with her
      > (delayed by rush hour traffic). The docs there had her wired up, but told me
      > that her heart had stopped several times, and there was probably brain
      > damage due to lack of O2. We both have living wills, so after consultation
      > with the physician I had them remove the tubes. She left us about 5 minutes
      > later, at 6:45 pm.
      >
      > This was probably caused by a clot in her lungs/heart/brain but that has
      > not been confirmed yet. The onset was quite sudden, but I am glad she did
      > not suffer.
      >
      > Thank you all for your good thoughts, concern and support.
      >
      > - Phillip
      >
      > "Good bye my Love - the brightest star in my sky."

    • lorik_gryphon
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 17, 2011
        I...I can't imagine how Phillip must feel at this moment. And I am sure there is little anyone can say to ease his pain.

        Please, if you know him, can you pass on my deepest sympathies to him for his great loss. I am so very sorry.

        Koga no Kenshiro Hideyori, called TakaGo

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:

        > Unlike the cherry,
        > the paulownia branches
        > are still winter-bare.
        > In this, the springtime season
        > Where are those long-missed blossoms?
        >

        > The following message was released by her husband, Master Phillip of Gent,
        > regarding Mistress Minowara Kiritsubo, the first person I know of to receive
        > a laurel for Japanese arts in the Kingdom of Atlantia, and a terrific
        > mentor, educator, and friend.
        >

        > > All:
        > >
        > > There has been quite a bit of chatter on FB & emails, so I want to put
        > > forth a brief message. Kiri's abdominal surgery was Monday, 7-March, and
        > > they released her last Monday, 14-March. Things were progressing well - she
        > > was walking, sitting up & doing the Phys Therapy stairs. Once home, she
        > > could walk without assistance, get into/out of bed and various chairs, etc.
        > >
        > > This morning around 10 am she complained of not being able to breathe
        > > deeply - no pain, just shallow breaths. After calling her surgeon in
        > > Baltimore and primary physician here in Prince Frederick, we were directed
        > > to take her to the emergency room. When she went back to change, her
        > > breathing got more ragged & I called 911 for transport. Before they arrived,
        > > she collapsed & I administered CPR & artificial respiration - the EMTs
        > > arrives a few minutes later - about 10:30,
        > >
        > > They got her to the ER and got her heart going again, but she was on a
        > > breathing machine & some of her organs shut down. She was Med-Evac'd to the
        > > Georgetown University Hospital ICU, and I drove there to be with her
        > > (delayed by rush hour traffic). The docs there had her wired up, but told me
        > > that her heart had stopped several times, and there was probably brain
        > > damage due to lack of O2. We both have living wills, so after consultation
        > > with the physician I had them remove the tubes. She left us about 5 minutes
        > > later, at 6:45 pm.
        > >
        > > This was probably caused by a clot in her lungs/heart/brain but that has
        > > not been confirmed yet. The onset was quite sudden, but I am glad she did
        > > not suffer.
        > >
        > > Thank you all for your good thoughts, concern and support.
        > >
        > > - Phillip
        > >
        > > "Good bye my Love - the brightest star in my sky."

      • Anthony Bryant
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 17, 2011
          On Mar 16, 2011, at 11:00 PM, JL Badgley wrote:

          > The following message was released by her husband, Master Phillip of Gent,
          > regarding Mistress Minowara Kiritsubo, the first person I know of to receive
          > a laurel for Japanese arts in the Kingdom of Atlantia, and a terrific
          > mentor, educator, and friend.

          I've been staring at my screen for like ten minutes. Words totally fail me.

          I absolutely am at a loss of what to say.

          I've known Kiri for like 30 years, and... damn. I really can't believe it.

          We've lost a great resource, and a great friend.

          Goodbye, Kiri. Thanks for everything. I'll miss you.

          Edward