Re: [SCA-JML] Translation please

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2011
      On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 3:45 AM, Paula Sandusky <psandusky@...> wrote:
      > You could render "Sea Dragon" as "Umi no ryu," literally "Dragon of the
      > sea."

      You would probably use "Umi no tatsu", but I tend to agree that
      "kairyuu" seems better.

      FYI: "Umi" and "tatsu" are kun'yomi readings (Japanese readings of
      the characters). "KAI" and "RYUU" are on'yomi readings (basically
      Sino-Japanese readings of the same characters).

      I would say that "Sea Dragon" like this seems redundant. How about
      "Ryuo" (RYUUOU), Dragon King, which implies ruling from the ocean.
      After all, the Dragon King is always found under the water; usually in
      the ocean.

      -Ii
    • barontakeda@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2011
        Ii-dono,

        Domo. How would one pronounce "RYUUOU"? Rye You?

        -Takeda

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2011
          On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 6:43 PM, <barontakeda@...> wrote:
          > Ii-dono,
          >
          > Domo. How would one pronounce "RYUUOU"?  Rye You?
          >
          > -Takeda

          Ryu + O (two syllables)

          -Ii
        • barontakeda@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2011
            Domo!

            -Takeda

            > Domo. How would one pronounce "RYUUOU"?  Rye You?
            >
            > -Takeda

            Ryu + O (two syllables)