Re: Kosode sleeve width?

  • LJonthebay
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 21, 2011
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "sugawara_naeme" <sugawara.naeme@...> wrote:

      > I am assisting my Laurel (who is also Baroness of Grey Niche) with a Muromachi outfit for Gulf Wars and I'd really hate to make a mistake. I have conflicting research about the width of sleeves on kosode. I've seen both full panel width and half panel width advocated.

      IIRC, full width may be a post-period development. It is certainly used in constructing traditional/modern kimono. Narrower widths were used during our period - the graph paper sketch at http://www.wodefordhall.com shows the proportions. The reason my instructions go on to use full-panel-width sleeves, however, is that the page was intended to make construction simple. The math is much easier when scaling a garment to use full-panel-width sleeves, and it doesn't significantly affect how the kosode looks when it's on the wearer.

      (I continue to use full-width sleeves because I have long arms for my height.)

      Saionji no Hana