Re: [SCA-JML] Wokou/wako question

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 18 3:58 PM
      Unfortunately, not really. Japanese source don't tend to focus on
      them that much, and most of what I've come across so far is the
      official notices from China and elsewhere requesting that Japan stop
      their pirates from preying on foreign vessels. That said, I also ran
      across some indications that not all Japanese pirates were
      Japanese--that is, at least in SE Asia, "Japanese pirates" became
      enough of a stock phrase for just about any foreign Asian pirates
      whose identity you didn't know (quite the reputation, when you think
      about it).

      You may also want to search on "kaizoku".

      -Ii

    • barontakeda@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 19 5:11 AM
        Just finished reading "When China Ruled the Seas" by Louise Lavathes; ISBN
        0-19-511207-5.
        The Wako are mentioned several times in the book.

        sayonara,
        Takeda Yoshinaka Danshaku

        <onewringgold@...> wrote:
        > Just curious if anyone knows of any good resources on Japanese pirates, also
        >known as "wokou" or "wako". Thanks,Aoyama

      • Randy Shughart
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 19 5:57 AM
          This website: http://www.chineselongsword.com/
          has videos and sword manuals from the time when the Wokou/Wako attacked China during the Ming Dynasty

          <onewringgold@...> wrote:
          > Just curious if anyone knows of any good resources on Japanese pirates, also
          >known as "wokou" or "wako". Thanks,Aoyama

        • richard johnson
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 20 7:50 AM
            FYI
            A year or so ago I wrote a story that included Japanese pirates and
            collected some info on them.
            Although NOT being a scholar I rarely add sources for my own reference
            materials, I DO make a strong effort to credit the author when known.

            Thus I have created a file in the FILES section called JAPANESE PIRACY
            into which I placed what I was able to find out.

            I also hve a reference that I have never read:
            Pirate of the Far East 811-1639 by Stephen Turnbull

            I hope this is useful.

            On 2/19/11, Randy Shughart <randall_shughart@...> wrote:
            > This website: http://www.chineselongsword.com/
            > has videos and sword manuals from the time when the Wokou/Wako attacked
            > China during the Ming Dynasty

            Rick Johnson
            http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com