Salt trade article

  • onewringgold@netzero.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 18, 2011
      Hope this comes through, as for some reason I can only post through email and can't upload via the website. This is an article on the salt trade between Japan and Korea that I've stumbled across and wanted to share. http://oregonstate.edu/dept/IIFET/2000/papers/matsuda.pdf Aoyama Narime
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 28, 2011
        Konnichwa,

        Could someone please translate the following?
        These are possible names of a ship.

        The Sea Dragon
        The Dragon

        I know that:
        Dragon = ryu
        Sea = umi

        Domo & sayonara,
        Takeda Yoshinaka Danshaku

      • Franzi Dickson
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 28, 2011
          >Could someone please translate the following?
          >These are possible names of a ship.
          >
          >The Sea Dragon
          >The Dragon

          What context are you going to use this ship name in? The most obvious way to say 'sea dragon' would be 'kairyuu', which appears to already be the name of a class of Japanese WWII submarine, various companies/organizations, and a famous fortune teller, not to mention the Japanese translation of a whole bunch of Chinese submarines/companies/etc. 'Kairyuu', written with different characters, also means 'ocean current' and 'circulation', among other things. Dragon is normally, 'ryuu',as you said.

          --Franzi
        • Paula Sandusky
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 28, 2011
            You could render "Sea Dragon" as "Umi no ryu," literally "Dragon of the
            sea."

          • barontakeda@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 28, 2011
              Domo arigato Franzi-dono!!

              "Kairyuu" will be the name of the ship!

              -Takeda

              ________________________________
              >Could someone please translate the following?
              >These are possible names of a ship.
              >
              >The Sea Dragon
              >The Dragon

              What context are you going to use this ship name in? The most obvious way to say
              'sea dragon' would be 'kairyuu', which appears to already be the name of a class
              of Japanese WWII submarine, various companies/organizations, and a famous
              fortune teller, not to mention the Japanese translation of a whole bunch of
              Chinese submarines/companies/etc. 'Kairyuu', written with different characters,
              also means 'ocean current' and 'circulation', among other things. Dragon is
              normally, 'ryuu',as you said.

              --Franzi

            • JL Badgley
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 28, 2011
                On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 3:45 AM, Paula Sandusky <psandusky@...> wrote:
                > You could render "Sea Dragon" as "Umi no ryu," literally "Dragon of the
                > sea."

                You would probably use "Umi no tatsu", but I tend to agree that
                "kairyuu" seems better.

                FYI: "Umi" and "tatsu" are kun'yomi readings (Japanese readings of
                the characters). "KAI" and "RYUU" are on'yomi readings (basically
                Sino-Japanese readings of the same characters).

                I would say that "Sea Dragon" like this seems redundant. How about
                "Ryuo" (RYUUOU), Dragon King, which implies ruling from the ocean.
                After all, the Dragon King is always found under the water; usually in
                the ocean.

                -Ii
              • barontakeda@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2011
                  Ii-dono,

                  Domo. How would one pronounce "RYUUOU"? Rye You?

                  -Takeda

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 1, 2011
                    On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 6:43 PM, <barontakeda@...> wrote:
                    > Ii-dono,
                    >
                    > Domo. How would one pronounce "RYUUOU"?  Rye You?
                    >
                    > -Takeda

                    Ryu + O (two syllables)

                    -Ii
                  • barontakeda@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 1, 2011
                      Domo!

                      -Takeda

                      > Domo. How would one pronounce "RYUUOU"?  Rye You?
                      >
                      > -Takeda

                      Ryu + O (two syllables)