Wokou/wako question

  • onewringgold@netzero.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 18, 2011
      Just curious if anyone knows of any good resources on Japanese pirates, also known as "wokou" or "wako". Thanks,Aoyama
    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 18, 2011
        Unfortunately, not really. Japanese source don't tend to focus on
        them that much, and most of what I've come across so far is the
        official notices from China and elsewhere requesting that Japan stop
        their pirates from preying on foreign vessels. That said, I also ran
        across some indications that not all Japanese pirates were
        Japanese--that is, at least in SE Asia, "Japanese pirates" became
        enough of a stock phrase for just about any foreign Asian pirates
        whose identity you didn't know (quite the reputation, when you think
        about it).

        You may also want to search on "kaizoku".

        -Ii

      • barontakeda@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 19, 2011
          Just finished reading "When China Ruled the Seas" by Louise Lavathes; ISBN
          0-19-511207-5.
          The Wako are mentioned several times in the book.

          sayonara,
          Takeda Yoshinaka Danshaku

          <onewringgold@...> wrote:
          > Just curious if anyone knows of any good resources on Japanese pirates, also
          >known as "wokou" or "wako". Thanks,Aoyama

        • Randy Shughart
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 19, 2011
            This website: http://www.chineselongsword.com/
            has videos and sword manuals from the time when the Wokou/Wako attacked China during the Ming Dynasty

            <onewringgold@...> wrote:
            > Just curious if anyone knows of any good resources on Japanese pirates, also
            >known as "wokou" or "wako". Thanks,Aoyama

          • richard johnson
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 20, 2011
              FYI
              A year or so ago I wrote a story that included Japanese pirates and
              collected some info on them.
              Although NOT being a scholar I rarely add sources for my own reference
              materials, I DO make a strong effort to credit the author when known.

              Thus I have created a file in the FILES section called JAPANESE PIRACY
              into which I placed what I was able to find out.

              I also hve a reference that I have never read:
              Pirate of the Far East 811-1639 by Stephen Turnbull

              I hope this is useful.

              On 2/19/11, Randy Shughart <randall_shughart@...> wrote:
              > This website: http://www.chineselongsword.com/
              > has videos and sword manuals from the time when the Wokou/Wako attacked
              > China during the Ming Dynasty

              Rick Johnson
              http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com