Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Under Kosode sleeves?

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11, 2011
      On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 6:12 AM, LJonthebay <wodeford@...> wrote:

      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Gorla" <agnesvonh@...> wrote:
      >> What I'm wondering is when I'm making an inner layer to wear what should I do with the sleeves?
      >
      > Make them the same size/shape as the outer layer. They should nest inside the layer(s) over them.
      >
      > (Besides, having things you can swap around as inner/outer layers gives you a much more versatile wardrobe!)

      I'm going to complicate things (sorry ahead of time): What outfit does
      he currently have?

      Generally speaking, follow Saionji-hime's advice--make the sleeves the
      same as the ones you currently have. "Tube" sleeves are appropriate
      (especially for late period fighting or lower class garments), but it
      depends on what you are making (and what he currently has).

      -Ii
    • Carey Gorla
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 12, 2011
        Thanks. This is meant to be moderate court garb. I forget what the name of the
        outer layer is that goes over his kasode, it looks sort of like a vest. But I'm
        also making him a new set of garb with hakama and Hitatare that this may go
        under as well. I'll go ahead with the matched sleeves. But it is good to know
        where "tube" sleeves belong.
        Agnes

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 12, 2011
          On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Carey Gorla <agnesvonh@...> wrote:
          > Thanks. This is meant to be moderate court garb. I forget what the name of the
          > outer layer is that goes over his kasode, it looks sort of like a vest. But I'm
          > also making him a new set of garb with hakama and Hitatare that this may go
          > under as well. I'll go ahead with the matched sleeves. But it is good to know
          > where "tube" sleeves belong.

          For kataginu sugata (any outfit with the sleeveless "kataginu"--looks
          like a vest, but it isn't sewn up the sides) then you would have the
          standard kosode and and under kosode with the rounded sleeves, I
          suspect. Ditto for the hitatare sugata, unless it is a hitatare for
          going under armour (which can vary, depending on time and place).