Under Kasode sleaves?

  • Carey Gorla
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11, 2011
      Ok so I am making my boyfriend, the actual Japanese persona, an under kasode to give him an extra layer for when it's cold. I have made him 1 regular outfit so far and it came out ok. What I'm wondering is when I'm making an inner layer to wear what should I do with the sleeves? I'm not sure if I should make it so it is similar to the regular Kasode sleeves or if I should make them more like a modern long sleeve. Does anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate any help you can provide.
      Anges von Heidelberg
    • LJonthebay
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11, 2011
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Gorla" <agnesvonh@...> wrote:
        > What I'm wondering is when I'm making an inner layer to wear what should I do with the sleeves?

        Make them the same size/shape as the outer layer. They should nest inside the layer(s) over them.

        (Besides, having things you can swap around as inner/outer layers gives you a much more versatile wardrobe!)

        Saionji no Hana
        West Kingdom
      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11, 2011
          On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 6:12 AM, LJonthebay <wodeford@...> wrote:

          > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Gorla" <agnesvonh@...> wrote:
          >> What I'm wondering is when I'm making an inner layer to wear what should I do with the sleeves?
          >
          > Make them the same size/shape as the outer layer. They should nest inside the layer(s) over them.
          >
          > (Besides, having things you can swap around as inner/outer layers gives you a much more versatile wardrobe!)

          I'm going to complicate things (sorry ahead of time): What outfit does
          he currently have?

          Generally speaking, follow Saionji-hime's advice--make the sleeves the
          same as the ones you currently have. "Tube" sleeves are appropriate
          (especially for late period fighting or lower class garments), but it
          depends on what you are making (and what he currently has).

          -Ii
        • Carey Gorla
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 12, 2011
            Thanks. This is meant to be moderate court garb. I forget what the name of the
            outer layer is that goes over his kasode, it looks sort of like a vest. But I'm
            also making him a new set of garb with hakama and Hitatare that this may go
            under as well. I'll go ahead with the matched sleeves. But it is good to know
            where "tube" sleeves belong.
            Agnes

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 12, 2011
              On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Carey Gorla <agnesvonh@...> wrote:
              > Thanks. This is meant to be moderate court garb. I forget what the name of the
              > outer layer is that goes over his kasode, it looks sort of like a vest. But I'm
              > also making him a new set of garb with hakama and Hitatare that this may go
              > under as well. I'll go ahead with the matched sleeves. But it is good to know
              > where "tube" sleeves belong.

              For kataginu sugata (any outfit with the sleeveless "kataginu"--looks
              like a vest, but it isn't sewn up the sides) then you would have the
              standard kosode and and under kosode with the rounded sleeves, I
              suspect. Ditto for the hitatare sugata, unless it is a hitatare for
              going under armour (which can vary, depending on time and place).