Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Cooking a SCA feast with Japanese Flair

  • Michelle Touketto
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 10, 2011
      I would be interested in source material(s) for future reference for A&S
      documentation and what not!

      Gwen

      --
      "All knowledge is worth having." Anafiel Delaunay, Kushiel's Dart.

    • LJonthebay
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 10, 2011
        I do not own this book, but it sounds like it might be worth acquiring in the near future.

        Japanese Foodways, Past and Present, Edited by Eric C. Rath and Stephanie Assmann
        http://www.press.uillinois.edu/books/catalog/58gbc6aa9780252035630.html

        Saionji no Hana
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 10, 2011

          Greetings from Solveig! The basic outline for a honzen style feast can be seen in Yama no Uchi Ryori Sho which is in ZGR 19.3. Rath reprints part of this stuff in one of his two just released books, but I forget which one at the moment. The most important tray is of course the first one.

          On the first tray is a bowl of Rice (left front - near the diner) and Soup (right front - near the diner) and 3 or 5 additional dishes arranged away from the diner. Each tray should have a soup. The menu must include Japanese pickles (e.g., pickled daikon and pickled eggplant).

          The honzen banquet (with a collection of trays all sitting in front of each individual diner) is an ideal. Regardless, rice, soup, and pickled vegetables are pretty much required.

          If you are looking for a modern Japanese cookbook. Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art by Shizuo Tsuji is the best one out there.

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 10, 2011

            Greetings from Solveig! I forgot to mention the ISBN for ZGR 19.3 it is 4-7971-0077-X
            ZGR is one of the standard manuscript collections used in Japanese studies.

          • LJonthebay
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 10, 2011
              > If you are looking for a modern Japanese cookbook. Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art by Shizuo Tsuji is the best one out there.

              This one I DO have and it's a great resource on modern Japanese cuisine.

              Saionji no Hana
            • Michelle Touketto
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 10, 2011
                I'll have to look for this one, but for modern, I greatly enjoyed Japanese
                Women Don't Get Old or Fat by Naomi Moriyama. My husband, the one
                supposedly so interested in Japanese culture, etc, couldn't handle all the
                "fishy" stuff, that's such a large part of Japanese food.

                Gwen

                --
                "All knowledge is worth having." Anafiel Delaunay, Kushiel's Dart.