Re: [SCA-JML] Cooking a SCA feast with Japanese Flair

  • Ben Overmyer
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 9, 2011
      justhungry.com is one of my favorite resources for Japanese recipes.

      YIS,
      Godric
      --
      Godric Alburne | Keythong Herald of Northshield

      On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 3:56 PM, John Lyon <toramassa@...> wrote:

      > My question is a pretty simple one right out of the gate. My shire is going
      > to be hosting a Japanese event in November, and I don't really have any
      > good
      > ideas as to what would go into a Feast appropriate for a Japanese themed
      > Event. I don't have any real experience cooking but know many good cooks,
      > who only are familiar with Western dishes. So if you could point me in the
      > right direction to start looking for recipes, ideas for courses, etc. I
      > would be very greatful.
      >
      > --
      > "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
      > thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible
      > things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I
      > take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the
      > universe."
      > -Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5
      >
      > John Lyon
      > aka The Ugly Dragon
      > aka Kita Jiru Toramassa

    • LJonthebay
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 9, 2011
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, John Lyon <toramassa@...> wrote:

        > My question is a pretty simple one right out of the gate. My shire is going
        > to be hosting a Japanese event in November, and I don't really have any good
        > ideas as to what would go into a Feast appropriate for a Japanese themed
        > Event.

        http://fibers.destinyslobster.com/Japanese/Food/japfood.htm may be a good place to start looking.

        Saionji no Hana
        West Kingdom
      • merlyn_elzebeth
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 10, 2011
          My barony just held a Japanese event back in late October. Our feast was much talked about for some time afterwards as one of the best many had had. (To toot my feast stewards' horn, not my own as my cooking makes my cats cry.) If you would like, I can try to get the menu and recipes (or at least the sources).

          Himitsu
        • merlyn_elzebeth
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 10, 2011
            To add: Here is the online site flyer. The menu is posted towards the bottom.
            http://www.brynmadoc.org/danelaw19.html

            Himitsu

            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "merlyn_elzebeth" <athanasiaseraphina@...> wrote:

            > My barony just held a Japanese event back in late October. Our feast was much talked about for some time afterwards as one of the best many had had. (To toot my feast stewards' horn, not my own as my cooking makes my cats cry.) If you would like, I can try to get the menu and recipes (or at least the sources).
            >
            > Himitsu

          • Michelle Touketto
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 10, 2011
              I would be interested in source material(s) for future reference for A&S
              documentation and what not!

              Gwen

              --
              "All knowledge is worth having." Anafiel Delaunay, Kushiel's Dart.

            • LJonthebay
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 10, 2011
                I do not own this book, but it sounds like it might be worth acquiring in the near future.

                Japanese Foodways, Past and Present, Edited by Eric C. Rath and Stephanie Assmann
                http://www.press.uillinois.edu/books/catalog/58gbc6aa9780252035630.html

                Saionji no Hana
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 10, 2011

                  Greetings from Solveig! The basic outline for a honzen style feast can be seen in Yama no Uchi Ryori Sho which is in ZGR 19.3. Rath reprints part of this stuff in one of his two just released books, but I forget which one at the moment. The most important tray is of course the first one.

                  On the first tray is a bowl of Rice (left front - near the diner) and Soup (right front - near the diner) and 3 or 5 additional dishes arranged away from the diner. Each tray should have a soup. The menu must include Japanese pickles (e.g., pickled daikon and pickled eggplant).

                  The honzen banquet (with a collection of trays all sitting in front of each individual diner) is an ideal. Regardless, rice, soup, and pickled vegetables are pretty much required.

                  If you are looking for a modern Japanese cookbook. Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art by Shizuo Tsuji is the best one out there.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 10, 2011

                    Greetings from Solveig! I forgot to mention the ISBN for ZGR 19.3 it is 4-7971-0077-X
                    ZGR is one of the standard manuscript collections used in Japanese studies.

                  • LJonthebay
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 10, 2011
                      > If you are looking for a modern Japanese cookbook. Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art by Shizuo Tsuji is the best one out there.

                      This one I DO have and it's a great resource on modern Japanese cuisine.

                      Saionji no Hana
                    • Michelle Touketto
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 10, 2011
                        I'll have to look for this one, but for modern, I greatly enjoyed Japanese
                        Women Don't Get Old or Fat by Naomi Moriyama. My husband, the one
                        supposedly so interested in Japanese culture, etc, couldn't handle all the
                        "fishy" stuff, that's such a large part of Japanese food.

                        Gwen

                        --
                        "All knowledge is worth having." Anafiel Delaunay, Kushiel's Dart.