Re: Archery

  • Erin Kelly
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 1, 2011
      If you are in range of Pennsic, there's a vendor there called Yumi who
      specializes in Japanese archery. Also, many of my colleagues in Clan
      YamaKaminari have experience with Japanese archery, both in target
      shooting and in SCA combat - stop by our camp if you make it to
      Pennsic and we can find someone to talk with you about it.

      ERIN
    • David Holt
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 1, 2011
        I've done ZNKR Kyudo (at the Indiana Kyudo Renmei), Heki Ryu Bishu Chikurin-ha Kyudo, and modern western-style sport archery. I still practice them all, but am not currently taking instruction in any. I did enjoy my training in Indiana, but it was a long drive from Chicago. For someone with not much patience, it might be a good way to learn and practice patience.

        Kyujutsu is theoretically more combat oriented than Kyudo, but it's not a hard and fast rule. With no enemies to shoot at for the past 400 years, all the -jutsu arts have become very similar to the -do arts. I have been working on removing the ritual from the Kyudo I know to see how it might work as a martial art.

        I disagree that western and Japanese archery are so different. So many of the basics are the same (relax your shoulders and hands, use your back instead of your arms, be consistent in your movements, don't hurry your movements, etc.). The differences are in the details (use your fingers or your thumb, arrow on the left or on the right, pull to the midbody or full arm length, pull from the front or from above, etc.). If I shoot both western and Japanese on the same day, it takes me a moment to get used to each one, but then I can easily switch back and forth. I particularly don't like the modern Kyudo glove, though. I wear a thick leather gardening glove now. I wouldn't have to remove it if I had to switch to my sword and if I decided to remove it, it would take 2 seconds instead of 2 minutes. I hear the Yabusame gloves are much softer, thinner, and more flexible, so I might see if I can find one of those the next time I'm in Japan.

        But I can't speak to how any of it works for historical accuracy or SCA purposes.
      • chagin1
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 6, 2011
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Chibasama Ryúichiro <chiba@...> wrote:

          > While they are very well used kneeling, the design of the yumi was for use
          > on a horseback.
          >
          > Live, Love, Learn!
          > -Chiba

          This I doubt. Archeological evidence shows asymmetrical bows buried in graves before the horse was introduced into Japan. The design predates the horse.

          Takanofuji Jutte
        • JL Badgley
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 6, 2011
            On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 10:40 AM, chagin1 <chagin1@...> wrote:

            > This I doubt.  Archeological evidence shows asymmetrical bows buried in graves before the horse was introduced into Japan.  The design predates the horse.

            Can you come up with dates and cites? I'd be interested in what you
            have, because that isn't a claim I recall seeing before.

            From what I can see, the assymetric bow occurs across central Eurasia,
            in one form or another--I'm not sure what the oldest dates of bows and
            horses are, though. I've also seen some theories that it has more to
            do with power generation than it has to do with horseback riding.