Re: Color Question

  • LJonthebay
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 17, 2011
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Touketto <ladygwenhwyvar@...> wrote:
      > So, I've seen charts for seasonal color combination for women for the Heian
      > Period, but I've not seen specifics for Kamakura, Muromachi or Momoyama
      > Periods.

      The kasane or color combinations for women are specific to a particular class (the kuge or court aristocracy). While it is associated with the Heian period, they continued to be worn by women of the court after that period.

      Color is also associated with rank for men's court dress as worn by the Emperor and officials of his court, as detailed here:
      http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/garb.chart_ho_colors.html

      However, it does NOT apply to hitatare or kataginu ensembles as worn by the buke (samurai caste) as far as I am aware. Color palette can range from Zen and dark to bright and opulent.

      Keying colors and decorative motifs to the season is a very Japanese thing to do, if you know what goes with which seasons. At which point, I direct you to a poetry (yes, poetry!) link: http://www.2hweb.net/haikai/renku/500ESWd.html

      Decorative motifs specific to season can sometimes limit the wearability of a garment. Colors on their own (particularly the sort of colors you're most likely to get your guy into unless he's truly adventurous) are less problematic, though one can certainly play with them. Pink paired with orange is very springlike. Brown paired with the same orange takes you into autumn.

      I realize this isn't terribly specific, but it may give you some ideas.

      Saionji no Hana