Color Question

  • Michelle Touketto
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 17, 2011
      Hello! My primary persona is Welsh, 12th century or so, Gwenhwyvar of
      Sternfeld in the Middle Kingdom. However, I'd like to get my husband
      involved, but he's interested in Japanese culture, not European. Before
      joining the group, I'd found many of the resources you guys have on my own.
      So, I've seen charts for seasonal color combination for women for the Heian
      Period, but I've not seen specifics for Kamakura, Muromachi or Momoyama
      Periods. My husband has expressed interest in the clothing styles of these
      times, but not made a definite decision for his persona, yet, so I'm trying
      to gather as much general information as I can. I know the basics for these
      times as far as the use of patterned or plain materials for kosodes and
      plain, solid colors for* *kataginu kamishimo, and patterns or solids for
      hitatare kamishimo , but not exactly how strict they were on who could wear
      what colors, when during the year certain colors were appropriate or if
      there are certain patterns that are not ok to use.

      Any help would be appreciated. Trying to put some things together for a
      local event on January 29 for both of us.

      Thanks,
      Gwenhwyvar

    • LJonthebay
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 17, 2011
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Touketto <ladygwenhwyvar@...> wrote:
        > So, I've seen charts for seasonal color combination for women for the Heian
        > Period, but I've not seen specifics for Kamakura, Muromachi or Momoyama
        > Periods.

        The kasane or color combinations for women are specific to a particular class (the kuge or court aristocracy). While it is associated with the Heian period, they continued to be worn by women of the court after that period.

        Color is also associated with rank for men's court dress as worn by the Emperor and officials of his court, as detailed here:
        http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/garb.chart_ho_colors.html

        However, it does NOT apply to hitatare or kataginu ensembles as worn by the buke (samurai caste) as far as I am aware. Color palette can range from Zen and dark to bright and opulent.

        Keying colors and decorative motifs to the season is a very Japanese thing to do, if you know what goes with which seasons. At which point, I direct you to a poetry (yes, poetry!) link: http://www.2hweb.net/haikai/renku/500ESWd.html

        Decorative motifs specific to season can sometimes limit the wearability of a garment. Colors on their own (particularly the sort of colors you're most likely to get your guy into unless he's truly adventurous) are less problematic, though one can certainly play with them. Pink paired with orange is very springlike. Brown paired with the same orange takes you into autumn.

        I realize this isn't terribly specific, but it may give you some ideas.

        Saionji no Hana