Re: [SCA-JML] Battle Cries

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 13, 2010
      On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 1:01 AM, Brian Dean <Morachnyion@...> wrote:

      > From my rememberance, and after watching Shogun way to many times in a row...  i believe that battle chant more or less translates to victory, victory. yes..
      > i had done some research on it because i was curious at the time.   but don't quote me on my answer to this one.. i could be wrong.

      That "translation" is probably what the subtitles needed--they needed
      to translate an untranslatable concept into... something. That
      doesn't mean that it actually translates that way. A lot of times
      subtitles have to deviate from a strict translation so as to express
      the feeling in the second language.

      -Ii
    • JL Badgley
      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 14, 2010
        On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Erin Kelly <tupan4@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone here know how old/applicable these expressions (learned via
        > modern Japanese pop culture) might be?
        >
        >  - Yosh! (motivating exclamation before attempting something physical or
        > difficult)
        >  - Yu-issho! (I think this is to motivate people working together, but I
        > might be mis-hearing it.)
        >  - Ganbatte! (go for it/ do your best)
        >  - Yatta! (I did it)
        >
        > ERIN

        They all strike me as modern, and yet I wouldn't worry about that for
        purposes of the SCA; it will still add flavor to your persona. The
        words are not necessarily modern, I just don't know about the
        pronunciation.