RE: [SCA-JML] Battle Cries

  • Brian Dean
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 13, 2010
      From my rememberance, and after watching Shogun way to many times in a row... i believe that battle chant more or less translates to victory, victory. yes..
      i had done some research on it because i was curious at the time. but don't quote me on my answer to this one.. i could be wrong.

      Hirotaka

      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
      From: dean@...
      Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:25:32 +0000
      Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Battle Cries

      Greetings Solveig-dono,

      >Now then. Unit commands are another matter. I didn't have the

      >impression that the original questioner was a unit commander.

      Actually, in this instance....:-)

      A couple of years ago, I had to lead a cheer as part of a display, and

      used the ei, ei, ou, cry during a march past. At the time I was working

      off memory of the film Ran, and was convinced I wasn't quite right,

      fortunately after everyone's contribution to this thread, I can now

      breathe a sigh of relief, and provide other members of my group with a

      textual rendition.

      > there are several different contexts in which short phrases

      >might be encountered: commands, call and response, cheering,

      >individual utterances during combat, &c. I don't know how much general

      >interest there would be, but it might be interesting to put together a

      >basic guide to Japanese martial speak.

      Sounds like an excellent idea.

      >And yes EI is standard romaji for "AY" as in "HAY". I don't

      >know how up on Japanese transliteration the particular questioner was.

      That's a fair enough remark, but I'm actually okay on this issue, but

      I'm sure it has helped others reading this who aren't.

      Thanks again.

      Dean

      --

      Dean Wayland

      Head Of The Fight School

      http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk

    • JL Badgley
      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 14, 2010
        On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Erin Kelly <tupan4@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone here know how old/applicable these expressions (learned via
        > modern Japanese pop culture) might be?
        >
        >  - Yosh! (motivating exclamation before attempting something physical or
        > difficult)
        >  - Yu-issho! (I think this is to motivate people working together, but I
        > might be mis-hearing it.)
        >  - Ganbatte! (go for it/ do your best)
        >  - Yatta! (I did it)
        >
        > ERIN

        They all strike me as modern, and yet I wouldn't worry about that for
        purposes of the SCA; it will still add flavor to your persona. The
        words are not necessarily modern, I just don't know about the
        pronunciation.