Re: Battle Cries

  • Waffle
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 10, 2010
      Daimyo MacDonnalsama had many agasaru(sp?)ei ei ou.

      Sorry, someone had to do it

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <ajbryant@...> wrote:

      > On Dec 8, 2010, at 6:32 PM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:
      >
      > > Well the "chant" in Kagemusha goes "Hay Hay Hoh"
      > >

      > Actually, that's "ei ei ou."
      >
      > > > I've tried to find out what is being said and what it means.
      > >
      > > It doesn't mean anything. It is simply a cheer.
      >
      > Historically, it was represented in kanji as 曳曳応.
      >

      > Effingham

    • JL Badgley
      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 14, 2010
        On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Erin Kelly <tupan4@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone here know how old/applicable these expressions (learned via
        > modern Japanese pop culture) might be?
        >
        >  - Yosh! (motivating exclamation before attempting something physical or
        > difficult)
        >  - Yu-issho! (I think this is to motivate people working together, but I
        > might be mis-hearing it.)
        >  - Ganbatte! (go for it/ do your best)
        >  - Yatta! (I did it)
        >
        > ERIN

        They all strike me as modern, and yet I wouldn't worry about that for
        purposes of the SCA; it will still add flavor to your persona. The
        words are not necessarily modern, I just don't know about the
        pronunciation.