Re: [SCA-JML] Battle Cries

  • Anthony Bryant
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 9, 2010
      On Dec 9, 2010, at 5:15 PM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

      > Baron Effingham!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig! To some extent I think that we are
      > interpreting "battle cries" differently. My general impression of
      > people in the Society is that when they are looking for battle cries
      > they are looking for something to personally shout during combat.

      True -- I was just following up with the "ike" and so on.

      > As for the H's -- I remember hearing them in the movie maybe you
      > don't. And yes EI is standard romaji for "AY" as in "HAY". I don't
      > know how up on Japanese transliteration the particular questioner was.

      Just watched it this weekend. No "H"es. :)

      Even so, why would they pronounce it wrong? Americans don't cheer "IP IP OORAY!" ;)

      Effingham
    • JL Badgley
      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 14, 2010
        On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Erin Kelly <tupan4@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone here know how old/applicable these expressions (learned via
        > modern Japanese pop culture) might be?
        >
        >  - Yosh! (motivating exclamation before attempting something physical or
        > difficult)
        >  - Yu-issho! (I think this is to motivate people working together, but I
        > might be mis-hearing it.)
        >  - Ganbatte! (go for it/ do your best)
        >  - Yatta! (I did it)
        >
        > ERIN

        They all strike me as modern, and yet I wouldn't worry about that for
        purposes of the SCA; it will still add flavor to your persona. The
        words are not necessarily modern, I just don't know about the
        pronunciation.