Re: [SCA-JML] Battle Cries

    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 9, 2010
      Baron Effingham!

      Greetings from Solveig! To some extent I think that we are
      interpreting "battle cries" differently. My general impression of
      people in the Society is that when they are looking for battle cries
      they are looking for something to personally shout during combat.

      Now then. Unit commands are another matter. I didn't have the
      impression that the original questioner was a unit commander.

      Actually, there are several different contexts in which short phrases
      might be encountered: commands, call and response, cheering,
      individual utterances during combat, &c. I don't know how much general
      interest there would be, but it might be interesting to put together a
      basic guide to Japanese martial speak.

      As for the H's -- I remember hearing them in the movie maybe you
      don't. And yes EI is standard romaji for "AY" as in "HAY". I don't
      know how up on Japanese transliteration the particular questioner was.

      Note to everyone. N is the only consonant which can occur at the end
      of anything Japanese.

    • JL Badgley
      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 14, 2010
        On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Erin Kelly <tupan4@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone here know how old/applicable these expressions (learned via
        > modern Japanese pop culture) might be?
        >
        >  - Yosh! (motivating exclamation before attempting something physical or
        > difficult)
        >  - Yu-issho! (I think this is to motivate people working together, but I
        > might be mis-hearing it.)
        >  - Ganbatte! (go for it/ do your best)
        >  - Yatta! (I did it)
        >
        > ERIN

        They all strike me as modern, and yet I wouldn't worry about that for
        purposes of the SCA; it will still add flavor to your persona. The
        words are not necessarily modern, I just don't know about the
        pronunciation.