Re: [SCA-JML] Battle Cries

  • Anthony Bryant
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 8, 2010
      On Dec 8, 2010, at 6:37 PM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

      > Shime is the imperative (command) form of "die"

      Quick note: "shine."

      > Basically, "ike" sounds a bit to encouraging to your enemy to me.

      Well, when one is commanding one's troops, what verb would *you* use for "go that way"? ;) Just like in English, we say "Go, go!!!"

      Usually, though, one would encounter "kakare!" as the command to attack.

      Effingham
    • JL Badgley
      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 14, 2010
        On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Erin Kelly <tupan4@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone here know how old/applicable these expressions (learned via
        > modern Japanese pop culture) might be?
        >
        >  - Yosh! (motivating exclamation before attempting something physical or
        > difficult)
        >  - Yu-issho! (I think this is to motivate people working together, but I
        > might be mis-hearing it.)
        >  - Ganbatte! (go for it/ do your best)
        >  - Yatta! (I did it)
        >
        > ERIN

        They all strike me as modern, and yet I wouldn't worry about that for
        purposes of the SCA; it will still add flavor to your persona. The
        words are not necessarily modern, I just don't know about the
        pronunciation.