Re: [SCA-JML] Battle Cries

  • Anthony Bryant
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 8, 2010
      On Dec 8, 2010, at 5:26 AM, Dean Wayland wrote:

      > Okay to the purpose of my post, I'm sure this has been asked before, but
      > in films like Ran, there is a victory chant given by one army to
      > another. I've tried to find out what is being said and what it means. As
      > to what is being actually said I've found nothing to date, but regarding
      > meaning I've come across two, either: "glory, glory, glory" or "victory,
      > victory, victory", and then some kind of a cheer. Which of either is
      > correct, or is it a case that that both are, or aren't?

      Neither, is correct, really. "Ei ei" is the same "ei ei" used where *we* would cry "heave! HEAVE!!!" when pulling something heavy. Basically, it's defined as "a word shouted to encourage people." (Sort of like, How would you "define" the word "yaah!" ?) The suggestions that it means "glory" or any such is just a "reverse etymology" based on the simple homophonic connection between *this* ei and the ei that means "glory." Historically, it was 曳曳応. -- and glory is 栄, not 曳.

      Functionally, in martial terms, it really isn't that different from the traditional "three cheers and a tiger".

      > And finally does anyone know of any other period battle cries? Is
      > "banzai" ("ten thousand years") post period? I've not heard it in any
      > historical movies or read about it's use in history books, only in those
      > sources associated with the first half of the 20th century.

      There are no "universal" all-together type yells.

      General things typical of "Way to go!" things to shout, though, are "omigoto" and "appare" (both of which are, essentially, "wonderful, magnificent, splendid").

      Effingham
    • JL Badgley
      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 14, 2010
        On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Erin Kelly <tupan4@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone here know how old/applicable these expressions (learned via
        > modern Japanese pop culture) might be?
        >
        >  - Yosh! (motivating exclamation before attempting something physical or
        > difficult)
        >  - Yu-issho! (I think this is to motivate people working together, but I
        > might be mis-hearing it.)
        >  - Ganbatte! (go for it/ do your best)
        >  - Yatta! (I did it)
        >
        > ERIN

        They all strike me as modern, and yet I wouldn't worry about that for
        purposes of the SCA; it will still add flavor to your persona. The
        words are not necessarily modern, I just don't know about the
        pronunciation.