Re: [SCA-JML] Battle Cries

  • Dean Wayland
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 8, 2010
      Ii-dono,

      >I think you are talking about "Ei! Ei! Oooooooh!" I don't know if
      >there is an actual meaning, or if it is just a type of kakigoe to get
      >everyone riled up and ready to go. The problem is that it is call and
      >response:
      >
      >Leader: "Ei! Ei!"
      >Everyone: "Oooooooooooo!"

      Cheers, that's exactly what I was looking for.

      >> And finally does anyone know of any other period battle cries? Is
      >> "banzai" ("ten thousand years") post period? I've not heard it in any
      >> historical movies or read about it's use in history books, only in those
      >> sources associated with the first half of the 20th century.
      >
      >I think it is period to use as a wish for the emperor, but I don't
      >know about it as a battle cry. That seems very
      >nationalistic--previously, most battles weren't about the emperor,
      >really.

      I thought as much.

      >PS: As for being quiet--not sure. People have probably been busy,
      >but feel free to start more threads!

      In that case I'll put my thinking cap on :-)

      Thanks again.

      Dean

      --
      Dean Wayland
      Head Of The Fight School
      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 14, 2010
        On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Erin Kelly <tupan4@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone here know how old/applicable these expressions (learned via
        > modern Japanese pop culture) might be?
        >
        >  - Yosh! (motivating exclamation before attempting something physical or
        > difficult)
        >  - Yu-issho! (I think this is to motivate people working together, but I
        > might be mis-hearing it.)
        >  - Ganbatte! (go for it/ do your best)
        >  - Yatta! (I did it)
        >
        > ERIN

        They all strike me as modern, and yet I wouldn't worry about that for
        purposes of the SCA; it will still add flavor to your persona. The
        words are not necessarily modern, I just don't know about the
        pronunciation.