Re: [SCA-JML] Battle Cries

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 8, 2010
      On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Dean Wayland
      <dean@...> wrote:

      > I'd like to be able to use this cry in our events, but without a clear
      > written expression, I'm stumped. So what is said by the leader, and what
      > is the reply? Romanji answers only thanks, as I can't get my email
      > package to reproduce kana or kanji.

      I think you are talking about "Ei! Ei! Oooooooh!" I don't know if
      there is an actual meaning, or if it is just a type of kakigoe to get
      everyone riled up and ready to go. The problem is that it is call and
      response:

      Leader: "Ei! Ei!"
      Everyone: "Oooooooooooo!"

      > And finally does anyone know of any other period battle cries? Is
      > "banzai" ("ten thousand years") post period? I've not heard it in any
      > historical movies or read about it's use in history books, only in those
      > sources associated with the first half of the 20th century.

      I think it is period to use as a wish for the emperor, but I don't
      know about it as a battle cry. That seems very
      nationalistic--previously, most battles weren't about the emperor,
      really.

      -Ii

      PS: As for being quiet--not sure. People have probably been busy,
      but feel free to start more threads!
    • JL Badgley
      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 14, 2010
        On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Erin Kelly <tupan4@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone here know how old/applicable these expressions (learned via
        > modern Japanese pop culture) might be?
        >
        >  - Yosh! (motivating exclamation before attempting something physical or
        > difficult)
        >  - Yu-issho! (I think this is to motivate people working together, but I
        > might be mis-hearing it.)
        >  - Ganbatte! (go for it/ do your best)
        >  - Yatta! (I did it)
        >
        > ERIN

        They all strike me as modern, and yet I wouldn't worry about that for
        purposes of the SCA; it will still add flavor to your persona. The
        words are not necessarily modern, I just don't know about the
        pronunciation.