Battle Cries

  • Dean Wayland
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 8, 2010
      Greetings All,

      First question, where is everybody? The list seems to have gone
      strangely quiet over the last month, according to the archive, the last
      message was posted on the 12th of November. I was beginning to wonder if
      my ISP had introduced some new kind of excessive filtering.

      Okay to the purpose of my post, I'm sure this has been asked before, but
      in films like Ran, there is a victory chant given by one army to
      another. I've tried to find out what is being said and what it means. As
      to what is being actually said I've found nothing to date, but regarding
      meaning I've come across two, either: "glory, glory, glory" or "victory,
      victory, victory", and then some kind of a cheer. Which of either is
      correct, or is it a case that that both are, or aren't?

      I'd like to be able to use this cry in our events, but without a clear
      written expression, I'm stumped. So what is said by the leader, and what
      is the reply? Romanji answers only thanks, as I can't get my email
      package to reproduce kana or kanji.

      And finally does anyone know of any other period battle cries? Is
      "banzai" ("ten thousand years") post period? I've not heard it in any
      historical movies or read about it's use in history books, only in those
      sources associated with the first half of the 20th century.

      Regards

      Dean

      --
      Dean Wayland
      Head Of The Fight School
      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 14, 2010
        On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Erin Kelly <tupan4@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone here know how old/applicable these expressions (learned via
        > modern Japanese pop culture) might be?
        >
        >  - Yosh! (motivating exclamation before attempting something physical or
        > difficult)
        >  - Yu-issho! (I think this is to motivate people working together, but I
        > might be mis-hearing it.)
        >  - Ganbatte! (go for it/ do your best)
        >  - Yatta! (I did it)
        >
        > ERIN

        They all strike me as modern, and yet I wouldn't worry about that for
        purposes of the SCA; it will still add flavor to your persona. The
        words are not necessarily modern, I just don't know about the
        pronunciation.