Re: tareginu-no-mushi in original art

  • LJonthebay
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 2010
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "merlyn_elzebeth" <athanasiaseraphina@...> wrote:

      > I wore one of these hats to our Japanese Games event this past weekend and was asked online by someone to provide historic resources for it. I have to admit, I was stumped! I've seen all the photos from the Jidai Matsuri, the Kyoto Costume Museum, and other places, but nothing actually from the period. Can y'all help?

      You're in luck. My trivia brain is working today:

      http://202.223.183.4/jp/syuzou/meihin/kaiga/emaki/img/item05_5bl.jpg is from a picture scroll, Legend of Kokawa-dera Temple, late Heian Period/12th century. Kyoto National Museum (Kokawa-dera Temple, Wakayama).

      Look at the figure on horseback - a lady on the veranda is helping her with her hat. There is another woman on horseback at the far left wearing one.

      Saionji no Hana