Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Chests

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 17, 2010
      Or find a sympathetic friend who lives in Virginia or Maryland.
      Paulownia trees grow wild here, and this area is where the Japanese are
      getting much of what they use today. There was some kind of blight on
      the trees in Japan, so they have to import what they use. It sometimes
      gets so bad that scavengers will actually steal trees from people's
      yards. I have a couple in my yard that I planted...one blew over in a
      storm and I was able to sell the wood very quickly! No...to answer your
      question...I don't have any that look to come down anytime soon. If so,
      I'll let the list know.

      Kiri (guess where my name came from??? However the English name for the
      tree is actually a 19th c. Russian word. Amazing what you discover when
      you're trying to register an heraldic title!)

      --
      "/It is only with the heart /that one can see clearly; what is essential
      is invisible to the eye."

    • Dean Wayland
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 18, 2010
        Greetings Kiri-dono, et all,

        >To be honest, I'm not sure how far back they go, but I do know that at
        >least during some periods in Japan, the tansu was used. Typically, it
        >was made of paulownia or elm with iron fittings. They varied in size
        >but were usually large enough to carry one's possessions when
        >traveling. They could be stacked on on top of another to provide more
        >storage space. When traveling, poles were run through the handles that
        >existed on each end of the tansu. The one reference I found online with
        >a date says that these were used during the Edo period, but I have to
        >believe that something similar must have been used earlier.
        >
        >Kiri

        My group here in the UK, did a lot of research in to these items some
        years ago in an attempt to solve our in-camp storage and transport
        needs. I now have eight, which are used for everything from carrying
        jinmaku (camp curtains), through armour, bedding, clothes and all those
        little things that make life in 16th century Japan so pleasant,
        including my nice new hibachi, Yay, heating!:-)

        The term "tansu" is today used by dealers as a catch all term for chest
        like furniture, but this is because most survivors are of Edo period
        make. The pre-Edo version is called "hitsu", hence the term
        "yoroi-bitsu" for one form of armour chest.

        Our typical hitsu measures 21.5" tall (of that 5" is the lid), by 17.5"
        long, by 16" wide, and are made of 1/4" thick wood, normally pine, but
        also paulownia, elm (zelkova) and cypress. We have a few that were made
        out of 1/2" wood so they could be sat on or stood on, but they are heavy
        to carry, and so all our new ones are thinner. We do have larger ones,
        but again they end up too heavy when loaded, to be comfortable. Most are
        painted to seal them from the weather, but some are plain wood. The
        joints are simple comb joints in most cases. We're going to be building
        some nagamochi, long chests, for carrying lightweight but bulky items
        like futons.

        The narrow end can be fitted with either metal or rope handles for
        portage purposes, using a rectangular pole and a couple of peasants -
        which are never around when you want them.

        We had a black smith turn out several dozen handle sets for us, and they
        work superbly. Now loading and unloading is a dream, we wouldn't be
        without them, and they really make the campsite look excellent.

        Anyway I highly recommend the following book, which although it
        concentrates on the Edo period has a wealth of information on kit from
        as early as the Heian era, right through to Meiji and Taisho. At the
        back is a stunningly useful visual history of different types of kit.
        For example, lighting, bedding and cooking gear.

        http://www.amazon.com/Traditional-Japanese-Furniture-Kazuko-Koizumi/dp/08
        7011722X#_

        Anyway, I hope this helps.

        Yours

        Dean

        (SHOGUN: 1543-1640)
        http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk/SHOGUN.htm
      • Jeanel Walker
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 18, 2010
          kon ni chi wa

          I have an idea for you for storage if your interested and you can enjoy some play time too. I made this hollow so i can stash my mundain stuff in...just a thought and its not hard to make
          http://iolii.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d20v69t

          http://iolii.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d20wl2i

          http://iolii.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d20vvzh

          http://iolii.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d20vv7u

          Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takaatsu" of Kisimull

> [...]

          some nagamochi, long chests, for carrying lightweight but bulky items

          like futons.

          The narrow end can be fitted with either metal or rope handles for

          portage purposes, using a rectangular pole and a couple of peasants -

          which are never around when you want them.

          We had a black smith turn out several dozen handle sets for us, and they

          work superbly. Now loading and unloading is a dream, we wouldn't be

          without them, and they really make the campsite look excellent.

          Anyway I highly recommend the following book, which although it

          concentrates on the Edo period has a wealth of information on kit from

          as early as the Heian era, right through to Meiji and Taisho. At the

          back is a stunningly useful visual history of different types of kit.

          For example, lighting, bedding and cooking gear.

        • James Eckman
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 18, 2010
            Posted by: "Dean Wayland"

            > Traditional Japanese Furniture Kazuko Koizumi

            Yes that is an awesome book, there's another one much like it that when
            I can remember the name I will send it along. If I get some free time, I
            do plan a tansu for my art supplies!

            Jim
          • James Eckman
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 18, 2010
              *Not the one I was talking about but...
              Traditional Japanese chests : a definitive guide / Kazuko Koizumi

              Jim

              *

            • Dean Wayland
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 19, 2010
                Hi Jim,

                >*Not the one I was talking about but...
                >Traditional Japanese chests : a definitive guide / Kazuko Koizumi
                >
                >Jim

                Ooh, new, published in April. Thanks for that, I am now 23 pounds the
                poorer, but richer by virtue of having ordered a new book for my
                library. I'll let you know what I think of it once it arrives.

                All the best

                Dean

                --
                Dean Wayland