Re: Chests

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 17, 2010
      You can find small chunks of paulwonia masquerading as cutting boards
      in dollar stores sometimes. You can buy boards online and yes it is
      extremely light. Your tools will have to be very sharp to cut it without
      crushing it.

      Don't bother with it for cutting boards though, about the silliest
      application for it that I can think of!

      Jim
    • Elaine Koogler
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 17, 2010
        Or find a sympathetic friend who lives in Virginia or Maryland.
        Paulownia trees grow wild here, and this area is where the Japanese are
        getting much of what they use today. There was some kind of blight on
        the trees in Japan, so they have to import what they use. It sometimes
        gets so bad that scavengers will actually steal trees from people's
        yards. I have a couple in my yard that I planted...one blew over in a
        storm and I was able to sell the wood very quickly! No...to answer your
        question...I don't have any that look to come down anytime soon. If so,
        I'll let the list know.

        Kiri (guess where my name came from??? However the English name for the
        tree is actually a 19th c. Russian word. Amazing what you discover when
        you're trying to register an heraldic title!)

        --
        "/It is only with the heart /that one can see clearly; what is essential
        is invisible to the eye."

      • Dean Wayland
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 18, 2010
          Greetings Kiri-dono, et all,

          >To be honest, I'm not sure how far back they go, but I do know that at
          >least during some periods in Japan, the tansu was used. Typically, it
          >was made of paulownia or elm with iron fittings. They varied in size
          >but were usually large enough to carry one's possessions when
          >traveling. They could be stacked on on top of another to provide more
          >storage space. When traveling, poles were run through the handles that
          >existed on each end of the tansu. The one reference I found online with
          >a date says that these were used during the Edo period, but I have to
          >believe that something similar must have been used earlier.
          >
          >Kiri

          My group here in the UK, did a lot of research in to these items some
          years ago in an attempt to solve our in-camp storage and transport
          needs. I now have eight, which are used for everything from carrying
          jinmaku (camp curtains), through armour, bedding, clothes and all those
          little things that make life in 16th century Japan so pleasant,
          including my nice new hibachi, Yay, heating!:-)

          The term "tansu" is today used by dealers as a catch all term for chest
          like furniture, but this is because most survivors are of Edo period
          make. The pre-Edo version is called "hitsu", hence the term
          "yoroi-bitsu" for one form of armour chest.

          Our typical hitsu measures 21.5" tall (of that 5" is the lid), by 17.5"
          long, by 16" wide, and are made of 1/4" thick wood, normally pine, but
          also paulownia, elm (zelkova) and cypress. We have a few that were made
          out of 1/2" wood so they could be sat on or stood on, but they are heavy
          to carry, and so all our new ones are thinner. We do have larger ones,
          but again they end up too heavy when loaded, to be comfortable. Most are
          painted to seal them from the weather, but some are plain wood. The
          joints are simple comb joints in most cases. We're going to be building
          some nagamochi, long chests, for carrying lightweight but bulky items
          like futons.

          The narrow end can be fitted with either metal or rope handles for
          portage purposes, using a rectangular pole and a couple of peasants -
          which are never around when you want them.

          We had a black smith turn out several dozen handle sets for us, and they
          work superbly. Now loading and unloading is a dream, we wouldn't be
          without them, and they really make the campsite look excellent.

          Anyway I highly recommend the following book, which although it
          concentrates on the Edo period has a wealth of information on kit from
          as early as the Heian era, right through to Meiji and Taisho. At the
          back is a stunningly useful visual history of different types of kit.
          For example, lighting, bedding and cooking gear.

          http://www.amazon.com/Traditional-Japanese-Furniture-Kazuko-Koizumi/dp/08
          7011722X#_

          Anyway, I hope this helps.

          Yours

          Dean

          (SHOGUN: 1543-1640)
          http://www.thefightschool.demon.co.uk/SHOGUN.htm
        • Jeanel Walker
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 18, 2010
            kon ni chi wa

            I have an idea for you for storage if your interested and you can enjoy some play time too. I made this hollow so i can stash my mundain stuff in...just a thought and its not hard to make
            http://iolii.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d20v69t

            http://iolii.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d20wl2i

            http://iolii.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d20vvzh

            http://iolii.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d20vv7u

            Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takaatsu" of Kisimull

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 18, 2010
              Posted by: "Dean Wayland"

              > Traditional Japanese Furniture Kazuko Koizumi

              Yes that is an awesome book, there's another one much like it that when
              I can remember the name I will send it along. If I get some free time, I
              do plan a tansu for my art supplies!

              Jim
            • James Eckman
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 18, 2010
                *Not the one I was talking about but...
                Traditional Japanese chests : a definitive guide / Kazuko Koizumi

                Jim

                *

              • Dean Wayland
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 19, 2010
                  Hi Jim,

                  >*Not the one I was talking about but...
                  >Traditional Japanese chests : a definitive guide / Kazuko Koizumi
                  >
                  >Jim

                  Ooh, new, published in April. Thanks for that, I am now 23 pounds the
                  poorer, but richer by virtue of having ordered a new book for my
                  library. I'll let you know what I think of it once it arrives.

                  All the best

                  Dean

                  --
                  Dean Wayland