Female name help: PART 2

  • K
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 16, 2010
      Hi!

      Jumping on the bandwagon...I have a female name construction question as well.

      I have been trying to decide between two name choices I like both of a lot:

      Sakurai no Kesame
      or
      Totori no Kesame

      Is there a way to combine the two?
      Like Totori Sakurai no Kesame
      or
      Totori no Sakurai no Kesame.

      I know they are both Uji, so I'm not sure if that's acceptable construction.

      Documentation:
      Sakurai-Heian Uji, pg.396 Solveig Throndardottir. Name Construction in Mediaeval Japan (Carlsbad, N. Mex.: The Outlaw Press, 1994).

      Totori-Heian Uji, pg.397 Solveig Throndardottir. Name Construction in Mediaeval Japan (Carlsbad, N. Mex.: The Outlaw Press, 1994).

      Kesame-Heian period female name, pg.378 Solveig Throndardottir. Name Construction in Mediaeval Japan (Carlsbad, N. Mex.: The Outlaw Press, 1994).

      Thanks for any advice!

      -Kei
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 16, 2010

        > Is there a way to combine the two?
        > Like Totori Sakurai no Kesame
        > or
        > Totori no Sakurai no Kesame.
        >
        > I know they are both Uji, so I'm not sure if that's acceptable
        > construction.

        Well, it might be possible to treat Sakurai 桜井 as an ordinary
        family name while treating Totori as an uji name.
        The question is then how to correctly slot things.

        I suspect that it might turn into Sakurai Totori no Kesame or
        something like that. But, please don't quote me on that. This is a
        question I really should be answering for someone else as well. I just
        wish I could recall where I ran into Uji/Family Name combinations. I
        recall that they exist, I just do not quite recall how the pattern
        works.

      • K
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 17, 2010
          Oh that's interesting! Solveig, will you let me know if you find any more resources on Uji/Family Name combinations in your future research? I'd love to start using my new name accurately :)

          Thanks for the input!

          -Kei
          kaelinfarmer [at] yahoo [dot] com