Re: [SCA-JML] Names

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 10, 2010
      On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 11:26 PM, Eileen Young
      <judith.eileen@...> wrote:

      > The link is :  http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi/3001.txt
      > This is the list of 14th-16th C women's names.  The Kanji characters are not listed.  I was wondering if there was a site available that I could use to see what the names mean. (Easy to use, hopefully)  More curiosity than anything else.  Since the kanji seem to be important and I don't have that, I will not worry about it.  I read in the Japanese Miscellany that all the Japanese names have a meaning and I was curious.  I am looking for a flower or plant name (if I like to looks of the flower or plant) to use with a clan name but I am in no hurry.  I'm too new to the study of Japanese medieval culture to hurry.
      > Thank you.
      > Eileen

      Okay, so the site you found references Solveig's book on Japanese
      names. The best advice is to find a local herald with a copy, if
      possible. Otherwise, we could potentially help with any given name,
      but going through them all--we'd just be reposting what Lady Solveig
      has already published.