RE: [SCA-JML] Names

  • Eileen Young
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 10, 2010
      The link is : http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi/3001.txt
      This is the list of 14th-16th C women's names. The Kanji characters are not listed. I was wondering if there was a site available that I could use to see what the names mean. (Easy to use, hopefully) More curiosity than anything else. Since the kanji seem to be important and I don't have that, I will not worry about it. I read in the Japanese Miscellany that all the Japanese names have a meaning and I was curious. I am looking for a flower or plant name (if I like to looks of the flower or plant) to use with a clan name but I am in no hurry. I'm too new to the study of Japanese medieval culture to hurry.
      Thank you.
      Eileen

      > To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
      > From: flyingrat42@...
      > Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 22:14:45 +0900
      > Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Names
      >
      > Greetings,
      >
      > Do you have a link to the page on the Academy website? If there is a
      > particular one you are considering, or a particular meaning you would like
      > to go for, I and my husband (and other members of the list, I am sure) would
      > be happy to help find if there is a historically appropriate name available!
      >
      > It would be helpful if the kanji/characters were available, as they are
      > important to the meaning.
      >
      > Solveig Throndardottir's "Name Construction in Medieval Japan" is probably
      > the best historical name resource available, if your local Herald has a
      > copy...
      >
      > YIS,
      > Abe Akirakeiko
      > On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 12:53 PM, juditheileen21
      > <judith.eileen@...>wrote:
      >

      > > Greetings,
      > >
      > > When you get back from GWW and have unpacked, washed and rested....
      > >
      > > The Academy of St. Gabriel has a list of Japanese women's names. How do I
      > > find out what the names mean?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Eileen

    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 10, 2010
        On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 11:26 PM, Eileen Young
        <judith.eileen@...> wrote:

        > The link is :  http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi/3001.txt
        > This is the list of 14th-16th C women's names.  The Kanji characters are not listed.  I was wondering if there was a site available that I could use to see what the names mean. (Easy to use, hopefully)  More curiosity than anything else.  Since the kanji seem to be important and I don't have that, I will not worry about it.  I read in the Japanese Miscellany that all the Japanese names have a meaning and I was curious.  I am looking for a flower or plant name (if I like to looks of the flower or plant) to use with a clan name but I am in no hurry.  I'm too new to the study of Japanese medieval culture to hurry.
        > Thank you.
        > Eileen

        Okay, so the site you found references Solveig's book on Japanese
        names. The best advice is to find a local herald with a copy, if
        possible. Otherwise, we could potentially help with any given name,
        but going through them all--we'd just be reposting what Lady Solveig
        has already published.