Re: [SCA-JML] Names

  • Ellen Badgley
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 10, 2010
      Greetings,

      Do you have a link to the page on the Academy website? If there is a
      particular one you are considering, or a particular meaning you would like
      to go for, I and my husband (and other members of the list, I am sure) would
      be happy to help find if there is a historically appropriate name available!

      It would be helpful if the kanji/characters were available, as they are
      important to the meaning.

      Solveig Throndardottir's "Name Construction in Medieval Japan" is probably
      the best historical name resource available, if your local Herald has a
      copy...

      YIS,
      Abe Akirakeiko
      On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 12:53 PM, juditheileen21
      <judith.eileen@...>wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > When you get back from GWW and have unpacked, washed and rested....
      >
      > The Academy of St. Gabriel has a list of Japanese women's names. How do I
      > find out what the names mean?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Eileen

    • Eileen Young
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 10, 2010
        The link is : http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi/3001.txt
        This is the list of 14th-16th C women's names. The Kanji characters are not listed. I was wondering if there was a site available that I could use to see what the names mean. (Easy to use, hopefully) More curiosity than anything else. Since the kanji seem to be important and I don't have that, I will not worry about it. I read in the Japanese Miscellany that all the Japanese names have a meaning and I was curious. I am looking for a flower or plant name (if I like to looks of the flower or plant) to use with a clan name but I am in no hurry. I'm too new to the study of Japanese medieval culture to hurry.
        Thank you.
        Eileen

        > To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
        > From: flyingrat42@...
        > Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 22:14:45 +0900
        > Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Names
        >
        > Greetings,
        >
        > Do you have a link to the page on the Academy website? If there is a
        > particular one you are considering, or a particular meaning you would like
        > to go for, I and my husband (and other members of the list, I am sure) would
        > be happy to help find if there is a historically appropriate name available!
        >
        > It would be helpful if the kanji/characters were available, as they are
        > important to the meaning.
        >
        > Solveig Throndardottir's "Name Construction in Medieval Japan" is probably
        > the best historical name resource available, if your local Herald has a
        > copy...
        >
        > YIS,
        > Abe Akirakeiko
        > On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 12:53 PM, juditheileen21
        > <judith.eileen@...>wrote:
        >

        > > Greetings,
        > >
        > > When you get back from GWW and have unpacked, washed and rested....
        > >
        > > The Academy of St. Gabriel has a list of Japanese women's names. How do I
        > > find out what the names mean?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Eileen

      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 10, 2010
          On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 11:26 PM, Eileen Young
          <judith.eileen@...> wrote:

          > The link is :  http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi/3001.txt
          > This is the list of 14th-16th C women's names.  The Kanji characters are not listed.  I was wondering if there was a site available that I could use to see what the names mean. (Easy to use, hopefully)  More curiosity than anything else.  Since the kanji seem to be important and I don't have that, I will not worry about it.  I read in the Japanese Miscellany that all the Japanese names have a meaning and I was curious.  I am looking for a flower or plant name (if I like to looks of the flower or plant) to use with a clan name but I am in no hurry.  I'm too new to the study of Japanese medieval culture to hurry.
          > Thank you.
          > Eileen

          Okay, so the site you found references Solveig's book on Japanese
          names. The best advice is to find a local herald with a copy, if
          possible. Otherwise, we could potentially help with any given name,
          but going through them all--we'd just be reposting what Lady Solveig
          has already published.